+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Portable Washing Machine

    Nebraska

    Landlord is trying to ban my portable washing machine. He claims the plumbing pipes aren't capable of handling the draining water.

    2 months ago, I complained about other tenants smoking, and nothing was done. I feel this washing machine is retaliation for my complaining about the smokers.

    Can the landlord tell me not to use the washing machine?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Cackalacky
    Posts
    15,363
    Quote Originally Posted by what-ever View Post
    Nebraska

    Landlord is trying to ban my portable washing machine. He claims the plumbing pipes aren't capable of handling the draining water.

    2 months ago, I complained about other tenants smoking, and nothing was done. I feel this washing machine is retaliation for my complaining about the smokers.

    Can the landlord tell me not to use the washing machine?
    Yes, he can.


    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    The plumbing pipes also drain the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, and bathtub/showers. What's the difference in the water between those items and my portable washing machine?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Cackalacky
    Posts
    15,363
    Quote Originally Posted by what-ever View Post
    The plumbing pipes also drain the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, and bathtub/showers. What's the difference in the water between those items and my portable washing machine?
    I thought I answered your legal question already.


    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    A portable washing machine can cause a lot of damage if the water supply hose bursts/leaks or the drain hose comes dislodged from the sink while draining, especially if you are in an upper apartment. Do you really want to be responsible in case of damage?

    The other appliances/fixtures you mention are included with the rental and are the landlord's responsibility - if they fail and cause damage (through no fault of yours), the landlord is responsible for the cost.

    The landlord is within his rights and is protecting his property. He does not have to explain his reasons for saying "no".


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
    I thought I answered your legal question already.
    you're not a lawyer. you don't have legal knowledge of portable washing machine usage in nebraska.

    are there any lawyers who will provide me rationale answer to my question (my rephrased question).

    Can my landlord ask me to stop using my portable washing machine because the plumbing pipes cannot drain the water, while at the same having issues with the water from the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, bathtube/shower draining water into the same plumbing pipes?


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Where you can copy from my work
    Posts
    29,919
    Quote Originally Posted by what-ever View Post
    you're not a lawyer. you don't have legal knowledge of portable washing machine usage in nebraska.

    are there any lawyers who will provide me rationale answer to my question (my rephrased question).

    Can my landlord ask me to stop using my portable washing machine because the plumbing pipes cannot drain the water, while at the same having issues with the water from the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, bathtube/shower draining water into the same plumbing pipes?
    Your legal q has been answered. It's still the same. And now that you have been unnecessarily RUDE, I frown upon you.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by treese View Post
    A portable washing machine can cause a lot of damage if the water supply hose bursts/leaks or the drain hose comes dislodged from the sink while draining, especially if you are in an upper apartment. Do you really want to be responsible in case of damage?

    The other appliances/fixtures you mention are included with the rental and are the landlord's responsibility - if they fail and cause damage (through no fault of yours), the landlord is responsible for the cost.

    The landlord is within his rights and is protecting his property. He does not have to explain his reasons for saying "no".
    Thank you for explaining your answer. The real issue is about liability. I get it now. Let me ask you another question regarding smokers. Isn't there liability for the landlord to prevent smokers from their smoke harming the other tenant, not the mention the possibility of starting a fire?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverplum View Post
    Your legal q has been answered. It's still the same. And now that you have been unnecessarily RUDE, I frown upon you.
    Thank you. Frown acknowledged.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    South Cackalacky
    Posts
    15,363
    Quote Originally Posted by what-ever View Post
    Thank you for explaining your answer. The real issue is about liability. I get it now. Let me ask you another question regarding smokers. Isn't there liability for the landlord to prevent smokers from their smoke harming the other tenant, not the mention the possibility of starting a fire?
    Nope.

    Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

    Don't forget: If you're not an attorney, don't bother responding.


    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by what-ever View Post
    you're not a lawyer. you don't have legal knowledge of portable washing machine usage in nebraska.

    are there any lawyers who will provide me rationale answer to my question (my rephrased question).

    Can my landlord ask me to stop using my portable washing machine because the plumbing pipes cannot drain the water, while at the same having issues with the water from the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, bathtube/shower draining water into the same plumbing pipes?
    Not a lawyer.

    It is his property an he can make rules and enforce them. In most states a 30 day notice is required when changing orimposing new rules, but If you insist he might prefer to give you a 30 day notice to vacate provided you are a periodic renter.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,910
    Quote Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
    Nope.

    Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

    Don't forget: If you're not an attorney, don't bother responding.
    **A: I am an attorney yet I am not responding.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
    Nope.

    Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

    Don't forget: If you're not an attorney, don't bother responding.
    Please don't steal credit for another poster's accepted answer.

    moburkes = insurance agent = liar

    Biography:
    Single Mom to 2
    Location:
    Ohio
    Occupation:
    dog groomer


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Where you can copy from my work
    Posts
    29,919
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuru View Post
    **A: I am an attorney yet I am not responding.
    That's so hott of you!


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
    Nope.

    Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

    Don't forget: If you're not an attorney, don't bother responding.
    While I'd normally avoid a post like this, rest assured that your original answer was 100% accurate and legal. Portable washing machines are banned in most multi-family dwellings because of the combination of plumbing problems they cause with the flood liabilities.

    Carry on.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Washing Machine Issue
    By SeekingJustice3 in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
  2. Washing Machine Issue
    By desirebre in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 02:51 PM
  3. washing machine repair
    By boilrman in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
  4. washing machine too small
    By marko in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 04:26 PM
  5. Washing Machine
    By badgirlree in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.