• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Portable Washing Machine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

what-ever

Nebraska

Landlord is trying to ban my portable washing machine. He claims the plumbing pipes aren't capable of handling the draining water.

2 months ago, I complained about other tenants smoking, and nothing was done. I feel this washing machine is retaliation for my complaining about the smokers.

Can the landlord tell me not to use the washing machine?

moburkes

Nebraska

Landlord is trying to ban my portable washing machine. He claims the plumbing pipes aren't capable of handling the draining water.

2 months ago, I complained about other tenants smoking, and nothing was done. I feel this washing machine is retaliation for my complaining about the smokers.

Can the landlord tell me not to use the washing machine?
Yes, he can.

what-ever

The plumbing pipes also drain the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, and bathtub/showers. What's the difference in the water between those items and my portable washing machine?

treese

A portable washing machine can cause a lot of damage if the water supply hose bursts/leaks or the drain hose comes dislodged from the sink while draining, especially if you are in an upper apartment. Do you really want to be responsible in case of damage?

The other appliances/fixtures you mention are included with the rental and are the landlord's responsibility - if they fail and cause damage (through no fault of yours), the landlord is responsible for the cost.

The landlord is within his rights and is protecting his property. He does not have to explain his reasons for saying "no".

what-ever

I thought I answered your legal question already.
you're not a lawyer. you don't have legal knowledge of portable washing machine usage in nebraska.

are there any lawyers who will provide me rationale answer to my question (my rephrased question).

Can my landlord ask me to stop using my portable washing machine because the plumbing pipes cannot drain the water, while at the same having issues with the water from the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, bathtube/shower draining water into the same plumbing pipes?

Silverplum

you're not a lawyer. you don't have legal knowledge of portable washing machine usage in nebraska.

are there any lawyers who will provide me rationale answer to my question (my rephrased question).

Can my landlord ask me to stop using my portable washing machine because the plumbing pipes cannot drain the water, while at the same having issues with the water from the built-in dishwasher, sinks, toilets, bathtube/shower draining water into the same plumbing pipes?
Your legal q has been answered. It's still the same. And now that you have been unnecessarily RUDE, I frown upon you. :mad: :(

what-ever

A portable washing machine can cause a lot of damage if the water supply hose bursts/leaks or the drain hose comes dislodged from the sink while draining, especially if you are in an upper apartment. Do you really want to be responsible in case of damage?

The other appliances/fixtures you mention are included with the rental and are the landlord's responsibility - if they fail and cause damage (through no fault of yours), the landlord is responsible for the cost.

The landlord is within his rights and is protecting his property. He does not have to explain his reasons for saying "no".
Thank you for explaining your answer. The real issue is about liability. I get it now. Let me ask you another question regarding smokers. Isn't there liability for the landlord to prevent smokers from their smoke harming the other tenant, not the mention the possibility of starting a fire?

moburkes

Thank you for explaining your answer. The real issue is about liability. I get it now. Let me ask you another question regarding smokers. Isn't there liability for the landlord to prevent smokers from their smoke harming the other tenant, not the mention the possibility of starting a fire?
Nope.

Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

Don't forget: If you're not an attorney, don't bother responding.

Alaska landlord

Not a lawyer.

It is his property an he can make rules and enforce them. In most states a 30 day notice is required when changing orimposing new rules, but If you insist he might prefer to give you a 30 day notice to vacate provided you are a periodic renter.

HomeGuru

Nope.

Oops. I'm sorry. I forgot not to answer. I am, however, an insurance agent, but I won't speak about the liability.

**A: I am an attorney yet I am not responding.

what-ever

Nope.

Please don't steal credit for another poster's accepted answer.

moburkes = insurance agent = liar

Biography:
Single Mom to 2
dog groomer

You Are Guilty

Nope.

While I'd normally avoid a post like this, rest assured that your original answer was 100% accurate and legal. Portable washing machines are banned in most multi-family dwellings because of the combination of plumbing problems they cause with the flood liabilities.

Carry on. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">