• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Eviction/ Landlord refuses to contact me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwarfstar21

What is the name of your state? Ohio
We received a notice to vacate the premises due to nonpayment of rent, but have since paid the rent. We called the landlord and left 3 messages over the past 3 days telling him this, but he has still not contacted us. The landlord is in the habit of accepting the rent late.
So, my questions are: Can he evict us since we have paid the rent? And, is there any way to make him contact us?

ENASNI

dwarfstar21 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
We received a notice to vacate the premises due to nonpayment of rent, but have since paid the rent. We called the landlord and left 3 messages over the past 3 days telling him this, but he has still not contacted us. The landlord is in the habit of accepting the rent late.
So, my questions are: Can he evict us since we have paid the rent? And, is there any way to make him contact us?
Ever hear of the US Postal Service? Look, this is gonna come out very mean sounding, but it is probably the truth. You have pretty much admitted that you are a chronic late rent payor. He is probably sick of it. It is the 26th of July, I don't know when you paid your rent but it sounds REALLY late.

I think he knows that you paid, and is avoiding you, preferring to do this all in writing. You may have to resort to the same. I do not know if you have any chances left. Write a letter insert all of August's rent and beg to be allowed to stay promising to be early from now on and stick to it.

longneck

the next step is to be prepared for a court summons. take evidence that you paid your rent. if you don't go to court when they tell you to, the LL will get a default judgement and an eviciton order will be granted.

dwarfstar21

Strangely enough...

He's allowed our next-door neighbors to go as long as 3 months without paying rent, and they haven't been evicted.

treese

The landlord is in the habit of accepting the rent late.
So? Sounds more like you are in the habit of paying late and the LL finally drew the line.

He's allowed our next-door neighbors to go as long as 3 months without paying rent, and they haven't been evicted.
So? What does that have to do with you paying rent late? Maybe the LL is deciding to weed out the bad tenants one by one ... they may be next in line ...

dequeendistress

Let me see if I got this straight,

First you failed to pay your rent
Next you were served eviction notice
Next next...you paid your rent: TO WHOM?

south

Thats a classic phrase you qouted 'The landlord is in the habit of accepting the rent late'.

You pay your rent late and you state the landlord has the habit!....Classic phrase this one goes down in my book as some of the nutty excuses and things tenants have said

dwarfstar21 said:
The landlord is in the habit of accepting the rent late.

dequeendistress

I see you posted another thread-which is totally worthless:

You also did not answer as to : WHOM did you pay the rent and if it was after the eviction notice and whether payment was accepted or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">