• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible harassment wiscomsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrjs

Harassment

I signed a year and a half lease. I made a big budgeting mistake and my security deposit/rent check bounced.
After talking to my landlord he immediately went crazy on me. I repeatedly said (in these exact words) "I understand why you are upset, and I also understand I owe you money. I am working to resolve the issue and pay a month ahead in rent to show good faith that this was a mistake, and it will not happen again"
He called me a "f*cking loser", started accusing me of doing heroin? Saying that's where all of my money went. "Heroin steals your soul"
"Every one of those lies is exactly what I heroin junkies says"
^that in response to my telling him I would pay a month ahead to show good faith.

He will send me 4-12 messages in a row before I finally respond, using ALL of my will power to stay calm and just stick to the facts. My responses are typically I understand, I'm sorry, I'm shocked by your vulgarity and outrageous accusations. I have not once argued with him or called him any names. In fact, the worst thing I probably said was that he was incredibly unprofessional.

I know that the "notice" he left at the property was not legal. There was no "right to cure" or anything of the sort. He immediately tried to "scare me" into moving out. I do not want to move again, it's costly, and stressful and the property itself is decent.

What can I do to make the harassment stop? The money (including next months rent) is on the way to him as we speak. But he continues to text me and leave me voicemails.

I know that I made a mistake, but i don't deserve to be called names, accused of drug use, etc. I have terrible anxiety, even being medicated, that does not help me deal with his claims.

I've considered sending him a letter or a text asking him to cease all other communication that isn't specific to rent or issues of the property. But I am afraid to make the situation worse than it is.

Would this be a good idea or a bad one? If the messages don't stop after he received the money order (if not today, tomorrow) what steps do I need to take?

Gail in Georgia

Stop accepting his messages. Delete them without reading them.

Unfortunately what bounced was your FIRST months rent and security deposit. In other words, it's not like you're a known tenant with a good track record of paying who made a mistake. This might be forgiven as an honest mistake. Right now you haven't started off very well with your landlord. It's also unprofessional (and illegal) to write checks when there is not enough money in the bank to cover these.

Still; he shouldn't be sending you these nasty messages. However, you do have it in your power to simply delete them without reading them and thus avoiding further anxiety.

Gail

FarmerJ

Do you have a way to save and print them off ? (for future use ?) if so save them , print them and then if he doesn't stop with in a couple days or so since you say you sent other funds then Id say change your phone number and do not ever give it to him again and learn how to dial anonymous or if you have to contact him use certified mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">