• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible squatter situation - Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LandlordDan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Heres the situation...around or about Oct 21st 22nd, a fried of another tenant offered to fix up a vacant apt in exchange for 1 months rent - which he did-though he still owed the security deposit of $500..of which he has payed half...and has come up with excuses for the past 3 weeks on coming up with the other half. We have decided that it is best not to have him sign a lease agreement until it has been paid in full.

I was told by a friend that I must change the locks by the 30TH day before he is considered an actual squatter/possessor. I just want to clarify that this is correct as we do not have the money to spend on court fees and other BS if this becomes a serious problem.

I just want to make sure that the advice I got from my friend is correct.

As far as I am concerned at this point-Nov. 18th is the day that the locks must be changed.

Also, are we legally bound to return his $250 that he has paid on the deposit thus far?

THX

DanWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Heres the situation...around or about Oct 21st 22nd, a fried of another tenant offered to fix up a vacant apt in exchange for 1 months rent - which he did-though he still owed the security deposit of $500..of which he has payed half...and has come up with excuses for the past 3 weeks on coming up with the other half. We have decided that it is best not to have him sign a lease agreement until it has been paid in full.

I was told by a friend that I must change the locks by the 30TH day before he is considered an actual squatter/possessor. I just want to clarify that this is correct as we do not have the money to spend on court fees and other BS if this becomes a serious problem.

I just want to make sure that the advice I got from my friend is correct.

As far as I am concerned at this point-Nov. 18th is the day that the locks must be changed.

Also, are we legally bound to return his $250 that he has paid on the deposit thus far?

THX

DanWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I would STRONGLY advise you to seek advice from an attorney that deals with rental issues.

justalayman

You cannot change the locks...period, until such time he no longer lives there. He is already a tenant and that would be an illegal eviction and could cause you much grief and possibly money.

If you want the guy to leave, you will have to serve a notice of termination of tenancy. If he refuses to leave upon the time given, you will have to file for an eviction through the courts.

You have to follow the laws of your state in all actions you take. Your friend is not giving you good advice.

HomeGuru

You cannot change the locks...period, until such time he no longer lives there. He is already a tenant and that would be an illegal eviction and could cause you much grief and possibly money.

If you want the guy to leave, you will have to serve a notice of termination of tenancy. If he refuses to leave upon the time given, you will have to file for an eviction through the courts.

You have to follow the laws of your state in all actions you take. Your friend is not giving you good advice.
**A: I totally agree. OP, your friend has no knowledge of landlord tenant law.

LandlordDan

So then any person becomes a tenant solely based on any verbal agreement? Or is it on the basis that he paid any amount of money?

We've been screwed before, and it appears we will again.

Just Blue

So then any person becomes a tenant solely based on any verbal agreement? Or is it on the basis that he paid any amount of money?

We've been screwed before, and it appears we will again
.:rolleyes:
For goodness sake! Stop renting till you have a basic grasp of LL/Tenant Laws.

HomeGuru

We've been screwed before, and it appears we will again.
**A: it could be one, the other or both or the fact that there is an oral agreement and payment or no payment.

LandlordDan

OK, thanks for the replies.

I'll be the first to admit that we didnt do background on this guy. But there has to be a point at which HE is in breach of an agreement...be it written or verbal.

No lease

Did do repairs

paid 1/2 of security deposit

he has "lived" there since only oct. 22nd

All a learning experience, right?

Banned_Princess

OK, thanks for the replies.

I'll be the first to admit that we didnt do background on this guy. But there has to be a point at which HE is in breach of an agreement...be it written or verbal.

No lease

Did do repairs

paid 1/2 of security deposit

he has "lived" there since only oct. 22nd

All a learning experience, right?
this is what makes him a tenant. (also the repairs in lieu of rent.)

As a landlord, you should know this. As a tenant he has rights, and if he is in breach of an oral agreement you sue him for an eviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">