• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Uninhabitable Apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MERRK3226

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am wondering where to find information about the laws governing inhabitability of apartments. My landlords will do nothing about the following problems and I need to know what my options are that don't involve a court case to get out of my lease as soon as possible.

The windows in the apartment freeze on the inside (about one solid inch of ice) making heating the apartment in the winter an absolute waste of money and resources. When the ice melts the resulting water seeps into the walls causing electrical problems and a moldy smell--I also have mold growing on the exterior of the walls. I was told to just put bleach on the mold, which would take care of the exterior problem but if there is mold inside the walls bleach isn't doing to do much.

There is two layers of carpeting on the floor, the top layer being stained and torn so I can see the bottom layer of carpet and the layer of mold in between them. I don't mind the stains or the tears as I signed the lease with them in that condition, but do mind the mold.

I believe that in the wall somewhere is a hornet/wasp nest as I have found 5 live wasps in my bedroom this week, when I showed my LL one live wasp he simply killed it and told me that it must have been dormant from last year.

I have notified my landlords of these problems numerous time and they will not fix anything, saying specifically that there is nothing they can do. I have been sick since January with "pneumonia" and I am allergic to any type of bee sting.

What are my options, if any? Is there someone other than a lawyer that I call to get this taken care of? I'm a student and don't have time or money to deal with a court case. At this point I don't care if its repaired I just want out.

Thank you in advance for any advice that can be given.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">