• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnancy and eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frybarger

What is the name of your state? California

i received a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. i had already notified rental company that i would pay rent on the 19th(today). last night i was served with unlawful detainer- eviction. question is can they legally evict a pregnant women in california

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California

i received a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. i had already notified rental company that i would pay rent on the 19th(today). last night i was served with unlawful detainer- eviction. question is can they legally evict a pregnant women in california
They sure can.

ecmst12

Did you, in fact, pay the rent today? If you did, the judge might find you sympathetic, if you promise never to be late again.

LindaP777

can they legally evict a pregnant women in california
Only if the pregnant woman has not lived up to the terms of the lease.

(Can you imagine if pregnant woman could not be evicted??? Imagine all the pregnant women refusing to pay rent, knowing the LL couldn't evict them! Why should a pregnant woman get a free ride at the expense of the landlord? Perhaps, OP, you can go to your LL's bank and ask them to postpone the LL's mortgage payments while you are pregnant. Yeah, try that and let us know how that works for you!)

Last edited:

CA LL

Sometimes I really have to wonder if posters BELIEVE the question they are asking might really be true or if they are "creating" ideas out of desperation?

At any rate...you had three days to pay or quit and you didn't do either within that time frame. You have now been served with formal court eviction papers AND quite frankly in CA we can file for possession only initially and after the three days are up we do NOT have to accept payment and can proceed with the eviction..not even having to appear in court unless a formal answer is filed.

I serve pay/quits in CA on the 4th or 5th, file on the 8th or 9th so if a tenant hasn't paid by then...they will be OUT of MY property and living somewhere else within a few short weeks if that.

I am sorry to be so blunt..but as I said...if you REALLY believe what you posted (NO WAY I can believe that)...how on earth is YOU being pregnant in ANY way related to your FAILURE to pay rent per the contract you signed?? Kinda like the dog ate my homework only this is much more serious.

Just so you know..you will now have a civil court RECORD (public records are searchable by anyone who chooses to do so) for eviction/possession. The LL also will likely file for and get a money judgment including all back rent owed, eviction costs, etc. Once they get the judgment, which is good for ten years and then renewable for another ten years, they can garnish your wages, levy your bank accounts and/or place liens on any assets you own over the next 20 years to get their money. The debt will be reported to all three credit reports and remain there as a collection item until paid and still remain as a settled collection item for a long long time.

SO next time you think that since you are pregnant..you can not pay the rent (????!!!!!!!), please think again. Rent s/b your number one priority. Very scary to bring a child into the world when you seem unable to keep a roof over your own head even.

Sorry...I am not being mean on purpose..but I DO hope to drive home the severity and consequences of your actions so that HOPEFULLY you will learn from this and NEVER allow it to happen again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">