• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous Landlord talking to Current Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StrayCatStrut

I have an issue. I have been moved out of my old house for almost 2 months. My old landlord contacted my new landlord to tell her that I stole her washer and dryer and that I have not paid rent in 2 months! First, I have not stole anything, second, I gave her 30 day notice 3 months ago and third, does she have the right to contact my new landlord to talk about things that she should be talking to me about? She has not tried to contact me in any way. My new landlord came to my house to tell me that I was being accused of stealing and non payment. Isn't that a violation of my privacy, for my old landlord to contact my new one and tell her these things? And I proved to her that I did not steal her washer and dryer, it was in the garage because I had my own.

I would just like to know so that I know how to continue.

aabbcc

I don't know of any way to prevent people from talking. I don't think any privacy laws were broken.

Who's Liable?

I don't know of any way to prevent people from talking. I don't think any privacy laws were broken.
No privacy laws were broken BUT if the LL is falsely accusing the OP with stealing, they can be sued for lible if it is found the OP suffered from the following actions of said lies.
OP should write the previous LL a letter sent via CRR ordering her to stop spreading false accusations or face a lawsuit.

FarmerJ

Are you real curious to see how far the former LL went ? the police dept can tell you if any theft reports were made at your former address during the time frame you supposedly took those items. When you find nothing see if you can get a print out of it and if it comes up agaiin with your new LL give her/him a copy orand tell them to decide for them self if it were true , since its all public information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">