• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Laws on Hidden Cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kipster

I was just wondering if there are any laws regarding landlords setting up hidden cameras to spy on their tenants in the state of New York. I have had several different landlords throughout the years and I was just wondering if there are any type of laws in New York that prohibit this act? Would this go under some sort of privacy law?
Thank you

HomeGuru

Where are the cameras located and are they Nikons? It is permitted to install cameras for security purposes in the common areas of apartment buildings etc. The cameras can not be inside the house capturing the next Sex, Lies and Videotape saga

K

Kipster

Thank you for answering my question.
Yes, I was talking about a hidden video set up inside the apartment/house so that a landlord can spy on their tenant. To me it is obvious that that would be illegal but I was just wondering if there is an actual law set up specifically in New York State that will protect the tenant from this sort of invasion. I remember watching a news tv program one day where something like this actually happened(I can't remember the state it happened) and for some reason I keep thinking that the tenant had a hard time prosecuting the landlord cuz there were no laws set up for this time of act. I was just wondering how New York law holds up with this sort of thing. And would something like a hidden videotape hold up in a New York court as some sort of evidence, if need be, if a landlord decides to sue their tenant for whatever reason?
Thank you

K

Kipster

Thank you very much HomeGuru for trying to answer my question.
Jack M.(or anyone who knows the answer) If you're out there do you think you can help me out on this one?
Thank you

T

TimC

The confusion comes from a technicality in the NYS law books. Apparently, it has long been illegal to record voices when the subject is not aware of the recording.

However, as this law predates mass video taping, it says nothing about video recording. Now, if the video recording contains SOUND, then the evesdropping law applies. If the video does NOT contain sound, then it does not violate the law in question.

As a disclaimer, what I have written above was brought to light as a result of a local man (in NYS) caught videotaping the patrons of a marina, in the locker rooms. The statements I made above are my recollection of the way that case panned out. If I remember right, there were no criminal charges filed, based on the nuance of the law, however, there was a substantial civil case that ensued.

NYS law MAY have changed as a result of the case mentioned.

Tim

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

In New York State, it is perfectly legal to audio tape a recording, as long as the sender or the receiver of the communication consents.

Regarding video tape, there are no special privacy rights here either; except, a LL could not set up a video recorder inside an actual dwelling unit.

Can't give you a precise citation - never had to research it. Never heard of a LL doing this.

luckyaurorastar

Illegal videotaping

I live in Lawrence, Kansas in a residencial neighborhood and I have the feeling that someone has placed a hidden camera in my home. I have contacted the police and even a private investigator has come in my house but they don't seem to find anything. I am not crazy nor do I have a history of mental illness in my family. I have been followed to places noone knows about except me and my family. I am about to turn this problem into the national news (NBC, ABC) to find out what is going on in my home, but I am afraid to do anything because I have the feeling noone is going to listen to me. I am originally from another country and I could contact an investigator from overseas. I feel hostage in my own home. Please help me!

luckyaurorastar

Illegal videotaping

I used to work at the University of Kansas Hospital, and I think the person who is videotaping me works there. Do you think the hospital could be held responsible for having an employee who is doing this? Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Lawrence, Kansas in a residencial neighborhood and I have the feeling that someone has placed a hidden camera in my home. I have contacted the police and even a private investigator has come in my house but they don't seem to find anything. I am not crazy nor do I have a history of mental illness in my family. I have been followed to places noone knows about except me and my family. I am about to turn this problem into the national news (NBC, ABC) to find out what is going on in my home, but I am afraid to do anything because I have the feeling noone is going to listen to me. I am originally from another country and I could contact an investigator from overseas. I feel hostage in my own home. Please help me!
You do realize that this thread is older than some of the kids of people on this forum, right? :rolleyes:

Start your own thread.

Alaska landlord

Are you off your medication?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">