• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem evicting roommate not on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stanton99

What is the name of your state? New York (New York City)

I have lived in my apartment for 3 years, and became the sole tenant on the lease when the former lease-holder moved out and I signed a new lease about 6 months ago. Before he moved out, we found a third roommate to move in based on verbal agreement. That roommate has now been here for one year, writing checks directly to the landlord, and I would like for them to move out so my friend can take their place.
The problem is, that person has indicated they will not move out in the 60-days time period I have given them, because they really like the area and can't find an apartment as nice. I am pretty sure I can not just physically move them out myself and change the lock without being in breach of law.

I am hoping for advice on how to get this person out of the apartment, whether before formally evicting them, and if a formal eviction is necessary, how is that accomplished? Do I need to have a legitimate complaint with the person to undergo this action??
Thanks-

BL

What is the name of your state? New York (New York City)

I have lived in my apartment for 3 years, and became the sole tenant on the lease when the former lease-holder moved out and I signed a new lease about 6 months ago. Before he moved out, we found a third roommate to move in based on verbal agreement. That roommate has now been here for one year, writing checks directly to the landlord, and I would like for them to move out so my friend can take their place.
The problem is, that person has indicated they will not move out in the 60-days time period I have given them, because they really like the area and can't find an apartment as nice. I am pretty sure I can not just physically move them out myself and change the lock without being in breach of law.

I am hoping for advice on how to get this person out of the apartment, whether before formally evicting them, and if a formal eviction is necessary, how is that accomplished? Do I need to have a legitimate complaint with the person to undergo this action??
Thanks-
You say he pays his rent directly to the Landlord , thus creating at least a month to month tenancy ( I presume he pays by the month ) .

It's out of your hands , unless you can get the LL to give proper termination , and possibly evictioning that tenant .

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/tenants_rights_guide.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">