• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with property management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jack72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'll take from the beginning. I'm 25 and a single mother. Moved into my first home of my own in April this year. I signed the contract and was given keys on the 25th of April. I was unable to start moving in until late on the 26th because the keys I was given didn't work on the house and no one answered the emergency line (which is the owner or the rental company's cell) the night of the 25 through 2pm on the 26th and I had family go to the agency while I was at work to see if anyone was there....I was then given keys that only worked on the back door because they said the previous renters didn't return those. When I asked if they would rekey the front and back door they said there was no need because the previous renters live on the west coast now.
The call from the emergency line was returned 2 weeks later asking if it was taken care of.

The white sewer tubing out side the house is cracked and when I flush the toilet, wash clothes, do dishes etc etc water and toilet paper shoot out of them. I've asked 3 times for this to be fixed because it's not sanitary (in email that I saved) but they respond saying they will but never do.

About 1 month ago the light in the living room and master bed/bath would go out including the plugins. Then melting plastic was smelt. Checked the break and it was melted on 3 sides. Tried calling the emergency line again but again no answer (this was on a Friday so office wouldn't be open until Monday) after the last time calling the emergency line I didn't want to wait. We changed the breaker with a new one (no more difficult than changing a battery) got a call back several hours later with them saying they will send an electrician out but they want me to pay because I worked on the house. I told them te only other option to changing it would be shut off power to entire house and vacate until they get back to me. The property manager told me that if that is what I have to do then do it because it's a breach of contract. They did pay for it but I'm feeling very bullied now by them.

Are any of these things allowed? Is there anything I can do? I have been on time every time with my rent and will continue to do so. There are many other things that have happened but those are the main things. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first house and idk if this is normal or if they are taking advantage of me not knowing the rules.

STEPHAN

Call the city code inspector. They will come out and force the LL to handle it.

Did you notify the LL via certified mail?

FarmerJ

at this point re the sewer leak it doesnt matter if you complained in writing or not since it appears that this LL has a problem with not wanting to take care of this property so call inspections out about the leaking sewer pipe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">