• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liz2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

I got three notices on my door yesturday. One was for a leak the people under me complained about. I guess there was a leak but there was no way for me to tell. Now they are charging me for the repair. The second was I had a babysitter watching my kids and they said because he was in the appartment i'm getting charged for not having him on my lease. Why would I put a babysitter on my lease?? Then they charged me to change the lock on my door, which has been a problem since I moved in. I was wondering what my legal options are here. They are giving me 24 hours to pay them or they said they will evict me. Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks!!

MIRAKALES

The lease agreement should clearly specify whether tenant is responsible for premises damages. A routine plumbing leak due to normal usage would not be tenant’s responsibility. A plumbing stoppage or damage to plumbing facilities would be tenant’s responsibility whether specifically outline in the lease or not. The lockset replacement is not a routine repair, but any issues noted on the Property Inspection Report at Move-In should not be tenant’s responsibility. The lease violation issue due to the male babysitter may be attributable to circumstances -- management or neighbors may perceive the regularly visitor as an unauthorized tenant.
(Documented payments for babysitting services should clarify the issue.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">