• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pbassett

I recently moved to the state of Florida and entered into on 1 year lease on a home. After 6 months in had a conversation with the landlord an told her I was interested in buying my own home and asked her if I would be able to end the lease. She told me that we would "work out an arrangement because she was wanted to sell the house I was rentng anyway. About three weeks after that I called to tell her that I found a house. She congratulated me and asked me when I would be closing. I told her the closing date and told her I would be moving out on June 1st (45 day verbal notice). I asked her about the lease and she asked me how I wanted to address it. At the time I signed the lease I gave her the first months rent, the last months rent, and 1 month rent for security - total $4050.00. I asked her to apply the last months rent to the month of May and then, after successful inspection of her property, return the security deposit. She said OK to the last month being applied to May but told me she would return m security deposit when she closed on the house she was planning on selling. I agreed to this because I knew I was breaking my lease. NOW FOR THE SHOCKER, AT LEAST TO ME! Two weeks ago she called and told me she changed her mind, and didn't want to sell her house. I asked her if I could help her find a new tenant. She told me she was not allowed to have more than 1 tenant in a one year period - these are the rules of the HomeOwners Association that she belongs too. I am closing on May 30th. She has since sent me a 3-day pay or get out notice - and yesterday I got a court order - SHE IS SUIING ME. Do I have any rights here?

K

Kim Shaffer

I don't know a lot about the laws and as you are I'm trying to find out some laws.From what I know is that you should have gotten your agreement in writting or find out who she had listed the house through to sell it or who was going to buy it.
Sorry Couldn't help more,
KIM

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">