• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with landlord and neighbors concerning our dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laraby

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

I moved into a rental house in 11/06.Though I didnt have adog at the time, I was told by the landlord that a dog would be ok ( with a pet deposit of course) or I wouldnt have rented the property. After a couple of months I began to look for a dog and again called the landlord to make sure it would be ok. She left a voicemail (still have it) stating that it was ok and I'd just need to make an addendum to my lease to add the dog and of course pay the security deposit. So I got the dog and left a message with the landlord to get the addendum and make arrangements to pay the deposit. Didnt hear back from her for 3 weeks.

Also since I have moved in I have had my front door kicked in (police report filed) with nothing missing, and have had several other strange happenings. By this I mean that when leaving I lock the door only to return and find it closed but unlocked again with nothing missing. One evening my son in law spun his tires on the dirt road in front of my house and my neighbor came over and made threatening gestures to my wife. NOw ordinarily i would have confronted him right away, but waited a few days and knocked on his door. I apologized for the actions of my son in law, to which he made another threat, I just said ok whatever. I then asked him if he had any future problems that he come and speak to me about it and we shook hands and parted ways.

Since then he has reported me to my landlord saying that I sicked my dog on his (blatantly untrue). He owns several dogs btw one of which likes to relieve himself on my front lawn, which of course the neighbor neglects to clean up.

Anyway, a few days ago my landlord calls and says we cant have a dog, and that the neighbors have made several compliants. She has asked that we remove the dog and hase given us a week or so to do it.

My wife is disabled and I think that given the neighbors actions, as well as the other occurrences, that she needs to have him here for protection, as well as companionship while I'm not here.

Further I have Housing Assistance to help pay for the property and dont want to lose that, and am not real sure what the ramifications are if I were to move out.

Can anyone help?

I will not be able to check this thread until later tonight or tomorrow, so I wont be able to respond to any questions or comments unti then.

Thanks in advance. Laraby

Laraby

Panther

Ok Panther I c now that its a double post..It was inadvertant not intentional. Thanks for the input.

FarmerJ

As far as the neighbor and your dog goes and this comes up again and your LL says the nieghbor has complained about (_________) you do not agree with the nieghbors claim and unless the nieghbor filed a police report wich is public information for all to see tell your LL they should consider the complaints to be untrue. As far as the dog goes perhaps a different breed to dog known to be more docile would work better if you can still get LL to agree to allow , you know if your lease doesnt bar you from having a dog then you will have to figure out how bad you want the LL to refuse to renew the lease, causing you to have to search for housing all over again.

Laraby

Thanks Farmer

Ill take your advice into cosiderationm I appreciate your suggestions and comments :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">