• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with landlord and neighbors concerning our dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laraby

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

I moved into a rental house in 11/06.Though I didnt have adog at the time, I was told by the landlord that a dog would be ok ( with a pet deposit of course) or I wouldnt have rented the property. After a couple of months I began to look for a dog and again called the landlord to make sure it would be ok. She left a voicemail (still have it) stating that it was ok and I'd just need to make an addendum to my lease to add the dog and of course pay the security deposit. So I got the dog and left a message with the landlord to get the addendum and make arrangements to pay the deposit. Didnt hear back from her for 3 weeks.

Also since I have moved in I have had my front door kicked in (police report filed) with nothing missing, and have had several other strange happenings. By this I mean that when leaving I lock the door only to return and find it closed but unlocked again with nothing missing. One evening my son in law spun his tires on the dirt road in front of my house and my neighbor came over and made threatening gestures to my wife. NOw ordinarily i would have confronted him right away, but waited a few days and knocked on his door. I apologized for the actions of my son in law, to which he made another threat, I just said ok whatever. I then asked him if he had any future problems that he come and speak to me about it and we shook hands and parted ways.

Since then he has reported me to my landlord saying that I sicked my dog on his (blatantly untrue). He owns several dogs btw one of which likes to relieve himself on my front lawn, which of course the neighbor neglects to clean up.

Anyway, a few days ago my landlord calls and says we cant have a dog, and that the neighbors have made several compliants. She has asked that we remove the dog and hase given us a week or so to do it.

My wife is disabled and I think that given the neighbors actions, as well as the other occurrences, that she needs to have him here for protection, as well as companionship while I'm not here.

Further I have Housing Assistance to help pay for the property and dont want to lose that, and am not real sure what the ramifications are if I were to move out.

Can anyone help?

I will not be able to check this thread until later tonight or tomorrow, so I wont be able to respond to any questions or comments unti then.

Thanks in advance. LarabyWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Laraby

Thanks Panther for the advice

I didnt expect everyone here to be a lawyer. I am looking for feed back on whether or not I should just move out....cave in and get rid of the dog......or stick it out and face eviction.

Thanks for your input though :p I am currently looking for a lawyer ;)

Last edited:

Laraby

Lost

Well I guess im lost....what r you talking sbout when u say original post I only posted once, and the only reply I recal from you was to get a lawyer. If I unknowigly double posted I apologize to all concerned.

Cvillecpm

Get your wife's doctor to write a note that the dog is needed for her companionship.

Send a transcript copy of the recorded permission to the landlord along with a copy of the doctor's note and state that your dog has not attacked anyone and has caused no problem at the property and that if you or your wife or family continued to be harrassed by landlord or neighbors, you will file a complaint with the local Fair Housing agency. You wife is a "protected class" since she is handicapped.

Don't let this get out of hand. Stop dealing with the neighbors an put your landlord on notice that the dog stays and the neighbors need to calm down.

Hot Topic

What is your wife's disability?

Having a dog doesn't necessarily mean that a pet owner is safe from bodily harm. Its barking can, of course, alert the owner to possible danger, but I wouldn't count on the animal going to her aid.

I suspect your landlord needs to put something in writing if he wants the animal removed. He can't just contact you and order you to dispose of it.

Laraby

Thanks Cville and Hot

Cvillecpm:

After reading your post I googled Fair Housing Act and found a good web site that explains what u state in your post. Local fair housing authority is HUD, and it explains that if deamed appropiate they will give u free legal representation and will also file an injunction on your behalf (also free of charge) to stop all legal proceedings for up to 120 days while they try to litigate a resolution. If a resolution is not reached they will then represent you in any future court proceedings. Thanks very much for the advice, I truly appreciate it. This is the best advice I've recieved by far. :) :) :) I believe they will be able to tell me exactly where I stand. Thanks again.

Hot:

Thanks for your advice also! My dog is a Chocolate Lab and has shown good defensive behaviors so I dont think that will not be a problem. A written notice was recieved yesterday from the LL after about 1 month of knowing of the dog. I believe its on to HUD (local Fair Housing Authority) to try and resolve the issue.

Oh ya..she has very bad back problems that prevent her from walkin correctly, and has very limited mobility.

Alaska landlord

Cville is right of course, but keep in mind that you and your wife are still responsible to see that the dog remains a good neighbor and does not violate any of the pet rules. This is not a blank check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">