• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with landlord/tenants..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexandretta

(New Hampshire)
Our building is owned by a landlord who has absolutely no effective involvement when it comes to problems with the other tenants/property, etc. Not to mention, he lives about 40 minutes away from the building - a total absent landlord for sure.

We have never been late on rent - often paying the next month's rent, at least one week early. We work very long hours and are often up very early because of work.

Conditions of the property have been routinely addressed but are not taken care of, property is a downright mess - garbage barrels where they dont belong, grills/propane tanks stored in areas that they should not be due to housing codes and fire codes...

Our fellow tenants have created such a problem for us - loud music, vacuuming at very inconvenient hours (midnight is just unacceptable), loud thumping of kids after 9pm to the point you think its a jungle-gym.

We have been trying to get a hold of the landlord by email because he doesnt pick up his phone - nor answer the messages we leave. The emails have headernotes on there proving when it was sent. I have saved all of the emails and the very few responses - to which nothing is getting better.

There are noise disclaimers in the rental agreements - and there are noise ordinances where we live.

The other incident that has left us considerably uneasy is that we have had to be careful of a tenant in the building with whom back in August 2009 - scared the hell out of my kid to the point she called 911 - when she heard the tenant yell out "IM GONNA F'ING KILL YOU IF YOU HIT OUR KIDS" - I called the landlord scared out of my wits because it was the tenant and her guests - we were never near her damn kids in fact, while trying to get onto the driveway - her kids were all over the place, and both my husband and I came to a dead stop.... waiting for them to move. The minute they moved, we headed for our parking areas. Thats when they decided to threaten us - then the cops arrived...

Ive had personal property damages and the five of us just cant take it anymore. The landlord just doesnt care... and clearly he is not abiding by the lease he drafted.

We have a potential apartment in mind and as far as Im concerned, we have enough information, documentation and email trails to prove our case and need to get the hell out of here...

Would be interested in any input as far as how you think our scenario would pan out with regard to the security deposit?

TIA

FarmerJ

Noise complaints after 10 pm call the police. things that could be code violations even if committed by nieghbor call inspections. complaints to LL stop emailing , stop calliing , instead use confirmed delivery mail and plan on moving out at the end of the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">