• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prohibiting tenants from having overnight guests?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srd2095

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in North Carolina, and I am preparing to rent a room of my house with assistance from my grandmother. My grandmother has put strict rules on the listing, including one questionable one- "Absolutely no overnight guests". That includes family, and I would also have to abide by this rule once a tenant moves in. My question is, is this legal? I know that her interest is in keeping people not in the lease from moving in/trashing the place, but I believe that this rule sounds extreme as there are laws already that protect the landlord from such things. Is this even enforceable? Could we explicitly put such a clause in the lease and it be legal? Thanks for any help you can offer!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in North Carolina, and I am preparing to rent a room of my house with assistance from my grandmother. My grandmother has put strict rules on the listing, including one questionable one- "Absolutely no overnight guests". That includes family, and I would also have to abide by this rule once a tenant moves in. My question is, is this legal? I know that her interest is in keeping people not in the lease from moving in/trashing the place, but I believe that this rule sounds extreme as there are laws already that protect the landlord from such things. Is this even enforceable? Could we explicitly put such a clause in the lease and it be legal? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Why are you allowing your grandmother to control whether or not you allow your tenant overnight guests? If you think that is over the top, then take away that rule. You could replace it with something like "no guest may spend the night more than 14 times in a calendar year". That allows some flexibility for true guest but prevents someone moving in their boyfriend or girlfriend.

Gail in Georgia

"I am preparing to rent a room of my house with assistance from my grandmother"

What do you mean by this?

Renting rooms in ones house often tends to end in disaster. You might want to rethink your decision to do this.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">