• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prorate calculation overcharge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hauntingmelody

State Specific Question About: CALIFORNIA (CA)

I moved in to a new apartment on November 8. My rent is $188 and the monthly complex fee is $50 (total of $238), which I paid in full for the first month. They said they prorate the second month. So, first month covered Nov 8 - Dec 7. Prorated rent is for 24 days, Dec 8- Dec 31.

I have multiple questions and issues about the complex's calculations, math, common sense, software/hardware requirements, and most importantly, the law.

a) Does it matter that I moved in during a 30-day month and got prorated for a 31-day month?

b) Are there specifications/standards for programs or calculator types in which to do the math? (For example, their desk calculator was not as accurate as the "Calculator" in Windows). Different types of calculators have varied abilities; is there a regulation on minimum requirements?

c) Assuming all months get prorated by 30 (standard amt of days), would the $50 fee be $40 or $40.08 because the ratio is rounded to $1.67 and used as the 'daily rate'? Would the number be cleared from the calculator and rounded or would the more accurate number be left in the calculator and multiplied by 24?
(Note: if you simplify, 50/30 is the same as 40/24. They both reduce to 5/3). So, on principle, I don't want to pay an extra 8 cents because they can't do math. If that is the law, however, fine. I am not trying to challenge laws, but I don't want to be overcharged by folks who aren't good with attention-to-detail.

d) Should the rent ($188) and the fee ($50), both payable in the same monthly check to the complex, be prorated separately or together? So, would $238/30 mult. by 24 (which is $190.40) be more or less legally accurate than $188/30 + $50/30 each separately rounded, then mult. by 24 and lastly added together?

e) Would a number such as 7.9333333333333333333333333333333 (probably infinitely repeating?) be rounded to 7.94 in the landlord's favor or would it round to 7.93, according to real estate law? Would the state or federal government regulate this?

I would very much appreciate any links to credible sources, be it websites, names of authors, books, or codes, or the specific CA state/federal office title of the folks who can authoritatively answer these questions. (I don't know if there are city/county-specific laws, but my zip code is 92081. Also, I receive section 8 rental assistance, which is why my rent is only $188 (+$50) monthly.)

Thank you for whatever help you are able to offer!

ecmst12

You are being entirely ridiculous with your nit picking.

The calculator program in windows is not more accurate then a desk calculator. What EVER could have given you that idea?

treese

ecmst12 said:
You are being entirely ridiculous with your nit picking.

The calculator program in windows is not more accurate then a desk calculator. What EVER could have given you that idea?
I concur ...

CourtClerk

I'm also in California. I'd like to know where you live that your rent is $238 a month?

I can't rent my hall closet for $238

CourtClerk

Also, I receive section 8 rental assistance, which is why my rent is only $188 (+$50) monthly.)
Oh... this is why the OP has so much time on their hands. They aren't spending any time actually paying REAL rent. I'm already paying their rent AND mine.

Great. My tax dollars at work.

On principle (since you're all into principles and things) I think you should give up your Section 8 voucher and pay rent like the rest of us, then you can b*tch about the 8 cents you are potentially overpaying. In fact... how can you be overpaying anything when you aren't even paying it all???

Alaska landlord

Yup, and while she at it she can learn how to operate a calculator and study the rules associated with rounding off. And some wonder why so many LL's refuse to take in section 8. Can anyone imagine what a pain in the rear this tenant would be?

CA LL

I really thought this was a joke...seriously.

Standard court/legal procedure in CA is to pro-rate using THIRTY day based daily rental charts rounded to two decimal points.

So 6.27 per day for the first charge, 1.67 for the second charge.

150.48 for the rent and 40.08 for the other charge whatever the heck that is by the way.

Section 8 huh? Maybe you should take all of those math skills and go to WORK somewhere!

CA LL

Must be because of tenants like you that SOME associations offer charts that TRUNCATE rather than round which is mathematically INcorrect.

Those would have 1.66 per day for the first and 1.66 for the second. BUT the ACCURATE math and accepted practice is my first answer above.

I REALLY can't believe you posted this. I'll bet you make a GREAT tenant!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">