• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prorated rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daughterofpele

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a tenant rent my condo and sign the month to month lease, she paid the month's rent and the security deposit. Two days later, she decided to move out based on not liking the neighborhood. (Prior to renting to her, I discussed my concern that she might not like the neighborhood and she assured me it would be fine.) The lease required 30 days notice. She gave immediate notice and moved out a few days later and returned the keys. I returned the full security deposit.

If I rent the place before the month is over, am I obligated to refund the pro-rated rent? I paid to run ads and such. Am I legal obligated to refund pro-rated rent if I rent it a week early or can I use the money to mitigate my losses in renting the place again?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CA LL

Don't double dip rent.

Advertising is typically free these days on CL and only granted in most cases if a FIXED TERM lease is broken.

MTM she just gave you insufficient notice...if you re-rent before 30 days refund the difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">