• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prorating rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

im_mac

What is the name of your state? DE

My current lease ends January 28th for some reason. DE law says "Except for purposes of payment, rent shall be uniformly apportioned from day to day." So am I interpreting it correctly that I owe 28/31 x monthly rent for January?

Thanks

im_mac

Wouldn't that go against the "uniformly apportioned" part?

I've looked for a definition of the daily rate, but all I've found is that clause in the landlord-tenant code. I would think if they meant 30, it would've been defined that way.

ecmst12

Uniformly apportioned means divided the same regardless of the number of days in each individual month. At least that's how I'd interpret it.

im_mac

Ahh, I was reading it as one month's rent is uniformly apportioned over the days in that month. Of course, that does make things vary from month to month, but the sum of the days' rent does equal the month's rent. I suppose you could divide one year's rent over 365 days to get the true uniform daily rate.

I guess I was confused since they very carefully used 30 days instead of "one month" at places, but didn't both in this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">