• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from lease agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bm1stang

What is the name of your state? Virginia

A live-in girlfriend and I are splitting up, but still have untill March31 2006 on our current lease. She does'nt qualify financially on her own for the house, but her family has volunteered to help pay the difference in rent if the need arises. She has agreed to a $1500 settlement from myself, and the forgiveness of her $2500 debt to me in exchange for my departure. If we had a notarized letter drawn up between only the two of us stating that I'm not responsible or accountable to the lease agreement ,would this be protection enough for me in the event she defaulted on her rent, and the Landlord tried to take me to court ? I am interested in making this transition as painless for all involved as possible. Any advice on the notarized letter is appreciated...
Thank You,
Skip

south

NO .......... .. .. .. . . .. . . .

bm1stang said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

A live-in girlfriend and I are splitting up, but still have untill March31 2006 on our current lease. She does'nt qualify financially on her own for the house, but her family has volunteered to help pay the difference in rent if the need arises. She has agreed to a $1500 settlement from myself, and the forgiveness of her $2500 debt to me in exchange for my departure. If we had a notarized letter drawn up between only the two of us stating that I'm not responsible or accountable to the lease agreement ,would this be protection enough for me in the event she defaulted on her rent, and the Landlord tried to take me to court ? I am interested in making this transition as painless for all involved as possible. Any advice on the notarized letter is appreciated...
Thank You,
Skip

ENASNI

Um

south said:
NO .......... .. .. .. . . .. . . .
To clarify the ever succinct south, If things got bad The landlord can still hold you and your credit and rental history responsible. Then You would have to go to small claims court against your ex. and the judge would make a decision about your "letter." If there was anyway to just get your name off the lease and have her parents co-sign or something for her, that would be the best way to wash your hands of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">