• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

psycho landlord causing trouble please help asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellyfall07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am going to court tomorrow with my landlord... He is stating I have not paid rent since May which I do have my money order reciepts that is was paid.. I am though currently one month behind... He has had people he hired off the street to cement by basement which while they were doing it I discovered he was paying them with beer found all empty beer cans and they were drinking the whole time they were there with my 1 year old daughter and me being home, even the landlord was drinking with them. This began the first week of May. The basement is still not finished, it is all ripped up and sections cemented but not correctly he stated that it is done and they did a good job. The men doing the work broke my $400 washer and the landlord refused to fix it or pay for it. I have been having to take my laundry else where to do it which is costing me a fortune. I have also caught the landlord peeking in my windows during the night and early morning searching through my vehicle and the neighbors. All the problems with him started back in January when my husband and I separated and he moved out. Is there any way for me to win the hearing tomorrow. Also he saying that I am violating my lease... There was no lease ever signed!!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Money order receipts only "prove" that you bought a money order.

You admit yourself that you're a month behind...

ETA: What did the police say when you called to report the peeping tom?

kellyfall07

the police didnt do a damn thing!!! Yes I am a month behind but I do have the money order made out but since this crap I have refused to give it to him. The damages and stolen property from my house add up well more than the rent. I do have police reports from the stolen property but they told me they can not prove who stole it all. Even though the so called workers and landlord were the only ones with access to my house.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am going to court tomorrow with my landlord... He is stating I have not paid rent since May which I do have my money order reciepts that is was paid.. I am though currently one month behind... He has had people he hired off the street to cement by basement which while they were doing it I discovered he was paying them with beer found all empty beer cans and they were drinking the whole time they were there with my 1 year old daughter and me being home, even the landlord was drinking with them. This began the first week of May. The basement is still not finished, it is all ripped up and sections cemented but not correctly he stated that it is done and they did a good job. The men doing the work broke my $400 washer and the landlord refused to fix it or pay for it. I have been having to take my laundry else where to do it which is costing me a fortune. I have also caught the landlord peeking in my windows during the night and early morning searching through my vehicle and the neighbors. All the problems with him started back in January when my husband and I separated and he moved out. Is there any way for me to win the hearing tomorrow. Also he saying that I am violating my lease... There was no lease ever signed!!!
...and you waited until today to address this issue:confused: Good luck tomorrow:rolleyes:

kellyfall07

I am not waiting til today to address the issue... I have contacted other forums and legal advice from lawyers over the phone I was just hoping there was some one here who could help as well. I am trying to see all options.

Searchertwin

I don't think you are going to do very good. The situation about the "crew" that the LL hired and they all sitting around drinking the whole time has no bearing on you not making your rent. Sorry, you indicating that you and your one year old child was at home during their drinking binge means nothing. Single moms think that it might help their case, it doesn't. Money orders as stated by Zigner only prove you bought a money order. And if the LL is happy with the job, than that is his business and not yours, unless you have helped pay for the work. Unfortunally, YOU cannot prove who stole or damaged your property. The police can only do so much, they cannot arrest someone on your say so. You have been living there, so there is a verbal lease or a month to month lease. You also hurt yourself by refusing to give the back rent that is due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">