• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting a lock on room door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

merk23football

California

I want to put a lock on my door. I talked to the person who set me up with the lease for the apartment, so I guess she would have authority, and she said I couldn't do it. I might ask her why soon but my real question is why wouldn't I be able to? And if I gave her some reason for me wanting to would it be possible for her to change her mind? I am thinking if there is a law that says I can't then there is nothing I can really do.

FarmerJ

Your first good choice would be to call your city /county zoning desk and ask them what kind of door locks are required to be on rental units , If you learn there is no local ord requiring more than a door knob lock for your apartments door then ask your LL if you can install a dead bolt door knob instead of standard keyed knob and backset. And of course you will give her a key , BUT if your local code requires a deadbolt and there is not one there then send her a certified letter informing her you called the city and the keyed knob does not meet local code and you want a deadbolt installed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">