• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about efficacy of Air Conditioning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddaug4uf

Georgia

Let me start by saying this is day 61 in a row of heat index high above 95 for this city.

Our air conditioning unit does not work properly. It will run all day long but even if we set it as high as 78, it freezes up about 1:00 PM every day and for the remainder of the day, it will be 85+ while the AC runs nonstop. I have opened several maintenance requests but the head maintenance gentleman actually said this:

"if it is 90 degrees outside and you have the AC set to 78, you can't expect it to get any cooler than 84 because that is the average of the two."

I raised the issue with the property manager, who said the maintenance guy checked it out and nothing is wrong with your unit.

Our lease is up in October so at worst we will get by with $350 electric bills for a few more months but I really wish I knew if any action on my part was legitimate so I could at least try to pressure them into fixing it.

justalayman

Well, he is incorrect on how to determine what should be the lowest temp possible. It has nothing to with averages. In fact, there is no simple calculation as to how effective (efficiency is not part of the equation) an air conditioner will be. There are calculations used to determine the size of the unit that take some guesses as to the facts used in the calculation; the greatest being the insulating value present.

An AC is sized to allow approximately a 20 degree reduction in temp based on the average temps of the area. If your average high is 85, an ac unit properly sized (by convention not absolute possibilities) should be able to hold the building at 65 degrees but realize that it would have to run nearly 100% of the time to maintain that temp.

Additionally, the heat index is not applicable here. Absolute temps is what is used for your question.

The last issue involved here indicates an actual malfunction of the unit. If a unit ices up, there is a problem. The two most common problems that cause icing are blocked airflow (usually a dirty filter. Have you replaced yours regularly?) or a dirty evaporator coil (often caused when people do not change their air filter and the filter distorts and allows dirt laden air to reach the evaporator coil where is collects and blocks the airflow. The second is an undercharged AC unit. Those possibilities are the first thing i would suggest be looked at. Even the most effective system will not provide proper results of either of those conditions exist.

As to the legalities;

Does your lease specific air conditioning is included? If so you have some options. So, to start with; does your lease specify air conditioning is included?

I'm in Georgia too. Definitely make sure your maintenance people are checking about the filter, freon, etc... like justalayman mentioned. For us, we have our AC set at 77 degrees. Between 5-8 pm, the temp in our house is 81 degrees. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it. The afternoons are the hottest part of the day, and that heat just builds up. Our AC unit is fighting hard to maintain the set temp, but the combination of cooking dinner and the time of day, makes for a toasty evening. The last few times we have lost power (due to storms), after the power comes back, our AC unit always blows warmish air even though its running full tilt. After researching, we have to go to the circuit breaker and turn the switch (for the AC unit) off then back on. This is only necessary after a power outage. After a few minutes, the air is cold again. Not sure if you are able to do that, but if you can, give that a try. It worth a shot. However, it sounds more like you have a bigger problem with your unit. By the way, I don't buy that because it's 90 out, to only expect the temp inside to be 85. Maybe for a few hours in the evening, like our situation, but not all day.

LdiJ

I'm in Georgia too. Definitely make sure your maintenance people are checking about the filter, freon, etc... like justalayman mentioned. For us, we have our AC set at 77 degrees. Between 5-8 pm, the temp in our house is 81 degrees. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it. The afternoons are the hottest part of the day, and that heat just builds up. Our AC unit is fighting hard to maintain the set temp, but the combination of cooking dinner and the time of day, makes for a toasty evening. The last few times we have lost power (due to storms), after the power comes back, our AC unit always blows warmish air even though its running full tilt. After researching, we have to go to the circuit breaker and turn the switch (for the AC unit) off then back on. This is only necessary after a power outage. After a few minutes, the air is cold again. Not sure if you are able to do that, but if you can, give that a try. It worth a shot. However, it sounds more like you have a bigger problem with your unit. By the way, I don't buy that because it's 90 out, to only expect the temp inside to be 85. Maybe for a few hours in the evening, like our situation, but not all day.
If someone works 8-5 the late afternoon/early evening temperatures are going to feel like the norm. However I will say that I got a new AC this year and I really did not realize how badly my previous one was working before it died. I am spending 100.00 less a month in electrical costs and the house almost gets too cool too easily.

If someone works 8-5 the late afternoon/early evening temperatures are going to feel like the norm. However I will say that I got a new AC this year and I really did not realize how badly my previous one was working before it died. I am spending 100.00 less a month in electrical costs and the house almost gets too cool too easily.
I keep the temp set on the "higher" end to try and control electric bills. When I rarely give in and lower it to 74-75, it actually feels quite cold in here. We live in a much larger house this year so I am trying to not let the electric bill get out of control.

Gail in Georgia

While Georgia landlord/tenant statutes do not require that a landlord provide air conditioning; if such is provided in the lease it is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain it in good condition.

What are your LEGAL options in this state if you believe that your landlord/management has not adequately addressed your repair requests?

Georgia does allow a tenant to go the "Repair and Deduct" route. Here is a good explanation of what this entails:

Getting the Landlord To Make Repairs

a. See if the lease requires giving the landlord written notice of requests for repairs.

b. Send a dated written request anyway, or it's your word against the landlord's. Keep copies of all correspondence between you and your landlord.

c. Allow a reasonable time for the landlord to make repairs.

For reasonableness, consider the nature and seriousness of the defect and how long it should take to arrange repairs. Serious defects that pose health and safety hazards should get prompt attention. (If your not sure how long to wait call up other management properties in the phone book and ask them how long it takes for them to repair these types of defects.)

d. If a reasonable time has passed, send the landlord a letter stating the following. "On such and such a date I wrote you that condition x needed repairs. (See prior letter enclosed). I have waited a reasonable amount of time but these repairs have still not been made. If the problem is not fixed in _______ days I will exercise my rights under Georgia law 44-7-13 which allows me to make the repairs myself and then deduct these costs from next month's rent. Please contact me before then so this won't be necessary."

e. If the landlord is unresponsive, deduct the repair costs from your rent. For your protection, you can take pictures of the defect before getting them fixed. Make sure to make copies of the receipt for repairs and to give a copy to your landlord with your next rent check. Do not hand over the original receipt unless you have a copy also!

f. You can also report violations to your local Housing Code Enforcement Division. They will send out an inspector to see if your apartment complies with applicable building codes. Get copies of all reports listing each violation. Such may come in handy if you need to sue in court.

What you cannot do legally in Georgia is withhold rent for failing to make repairs within a timely manner. Doing so is likely to result in an eviction.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">