• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about lease agreement in Florida. Terms of lease have changed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrendaP1224

My husband are renting a townhouse and on the lease it states that the cable, internet and water are included in the rent. We recently (03/11/10) got a notice from the cable and internet provider stating that the HOA (which the homeowners pay) is no longer paying for the service and that as of 04/07/10 tenants (husband and I) will no longer receive our internet and cable unless we pay for it. My question is, is this breaking the terms of the lease on the homeowners behave?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

My husband are renting a townhouse and on the lease it states that the cable, internet and water are included in the rent. We recently (03/11/10) got a notice from the cable and internet provider stating that the HOA (which the homeowners pay) is no longer paying for the service and that as of 04/07/10 tenants (husband and I) will no longer receive our internet and cable unless we pay for it. My question is, is this breaking the terms of the lease on the homeowners behave?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If the HOA has changed their mind about providing the service for which the owners (your LLs) pay, then it would not necessarily be considered a breach. The owners have the option of obtaining the service on their own and continuing to pay for it. If they fail to do that, then they may indeed be breaching the lease. If that happens, I would think you should be able to obtain the services on YOUR own and deduct the cost from your rent.

BrendaP1224

Thanks, My real problem is that My lease is up April 30th 2010. I thought my contract stated that I only needed a 30 day written notice when terminating the lease but the property manager stated that I need a 60 day written notice if I am not renewing my lease. She stated that I either need the 60 day written notice or when the home is rented then she will "release me." My question is: If she was under the assumption that I was going to renew my lease, shouldn't I have received a renewal form 60 days prior to the end date?

The cable and internet issue just happens to fall in the beginning of the month that the lease is up.

Banned_Princess

Thanks, My real problem is that My lease is up April 30th 2010. I thought my contract stated that I only needed a 30 day written notice when terminating the lease but the property manager stated that I need a 60 day written notice if I am not renewing my lease. She stated that I either need the 60 day written notice or when the home is rented then she will "release me." My question is: If she was under the assumption that I was going to renew my lease, shouldn't I have received a renewal form 60 days prior to the end date?

The cable and internet issue just happens to fall in the beginning of the month that the lease is up.
What does your LEASE say about renewing or terminating the lease?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">