• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about number of occupants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandhyaepeter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am about to sign a rental lease on a 4br/2.5bath SFH. The lease has a clause about number of occupants. Right now, just my spouse and I will occupy the house. However, we are expecting kid(s) after the lease is signed. We also expect my MIL/FIL and possibly my mother/father to come stay with us temporarily (3-4 months) to take care of my wife and the kid(s) (before/after birth). Of course, nothing is set in stone and they may not come at all or only 1 of them might and so on.

So should we add all possible occupants to the number of occupants clause (2+kid(s)+MIL/FIL+mother/father) in the lease? Or is that decided later when/if our relatives come over to stay? How about for the kids? Can the landlord legally raise his asking rent if we list them all? Does the rental being a 4br SFH (and not an apartment) make any difference to this?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Have you discussed all these issues with your landlord?

This would be a good idea to let them know.

The house is certainly large enough to hold children; however, to prevent any misunderstandings, it would be a good idea to discuss whether having the parents stay for an extended period of time might not sit so well with the landlord.

Gail

FarmerJ

Do your self a favor talk to the LL about it, explain that post delivery you will be getting help from family members and offer a slightly higher damage deposit. ( from your post , it hints at a multiple birth? If so make sure the LL knows this too)

xylene

Your landlords ability to restrict family member occupancy below the level you indicate

4 to 6 related married adults and some children...

In a 4 bedroom house.

LL might not like it, but he'd have to stew in it.

Care to post the exact occupancy clause?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">