+ Reply to Thread
    LAHolm is offline Junior Member

Post Question about removing your name from a joint lease.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am trying to find out some information for my younger cousin who is in a abusive relationship. She is trying to get out of a joint leasing agreement with a trailerpark and isnt sure if there is a way to do this without him finding out because shes worried what he might do. Is there a way to pay a certain amount of penlities to drop your name off a joint lease without the other person knowing ? I know I dont know much about the law but I never heard of anything like that and the park is telling her that they beleieve they can do it for a fee of $2000.00. Im just worried that either this is some type of scam thats going to come back and blow up in her face where she looses the money and he finds out. I have already told her that I think she should goto the police but she wants to leave that as a last option.

Thanks in advance,

LAHolm
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAHolm View Post
    Is there a way to pay a certain amount of penlities to drop your name off a joint lease without the other person knowing ? I know I dont know much about the law but I never heard of anything like that and the park is telling her that they beleieve they can do it for a fee of $2000.00. Im just worried that either this is some type of scam thats going to come back and blow up in her face where she looses the money and he finds out. I have already told her that I think she should goto the police but she wants to leave that as a last option.
    Any options to remove her name from the lease requires the WRITTEN permission of the landlord. Personally, I think $2000 is far too much for a trailer park. Negotiate a reasonable amount (a few hundred at most) and get it in WRITING ("In return for payment of $X.XX, landlord name releases tenant name from any obligations or liability for rent or lease involving property address/lot number."). Then, when paid, get a WRITTEN receipt.

Why is she afraid of her 'roommate'?? If there is a threat of violence or harm, suggest she contact the police to protect herself.