• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about removing your name from a joint lease.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LAHolm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am trying to find out some information for my younger cousin who is in a abusive relationship. She is trying to get out of a joint leasing agreement with a trailerpark and isnt sure if there is a way to do this without him finding out because shes worried what he might do. Is there a way to pay a certain amount of penlities to drop your name off a joint lease without the other person knowing ? I know I dont know much about the law but I never heard of anything like that and the park is telling her that they beleieve they can do it for a fee of $2000.00. Im just worried that either this is some type of scam thats going to come back and blow up in her face where she looses the money and he finds out. I have already told her that I think she should goto the police but she wants to leave that as a last option.

Thanks in advance,

LAHolm

JETX

Is there a way to pay a certain amount of penlities to drop your name off a joint lease without the other person knowing ? I know I dont know much about the law but I never heard of anything like that and the park is telling her that they beleieve they can do it for a fee of $2000.00. Im just worried that either this is some type of scam thats going to come back and blow up in her face where she looses the money and he finds out. I have already told her that I think she should goto the police but she wants to leave that as a last option.
Any options to remove her name from the lease requires the WRITTEN permission of the landlord. Personally, I think $2000 is far too much for a trailer park. Negotiate a reasonable amount (a few hundred at most) and get it in WRITING ("In return for payment of $X.XX, landlord name releases tenant name from any obligations or liability for rent or lease involving property address/lot number."). Then, when paid, get a WRITTEN receipt.

Why is she afraid of her 'roommate'?? If there is a threat of violence or harm, suggest she contact the police to protect herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">