• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about tenant doing unauthorized painting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BertnotErnie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Can someone help me with a possible security deposit deduction question? I live in NJ and had my rental home repainted about two years ago, a neutral but very nice pale yellow color. My tenants are moving out and did not have permission to paint, but repainted at least one room an avocado color. I'm not sure if there's any paint damage to the carpeting, which is also only two years old. I hate the avocado color and I'm sure new tenants will as well. Can I deduct the cost of repainting from their security deposit?

Also, they put up a pool, also without permission, and I need to see if there's any damage to the grass. If there is and I need to get it reseeded, can I deduct that?

Thanks for your help, anyone.

Peace,

Bert

ecmst12

After 2 years, the depreciated value of the original paint job would be negligible. You couldn't charge them for the full cost of repainting, only the depreciated value of the existing paint, so not really worth it.

If they damaged the grass, you could charge them for the cost of reseeding.

justalayman

I disagree.

This is not a matter of depreciated value of the original
paint. This is a matter of repairing the damages the tenant
caused. The tenant did not have permission to paint the apartment and are liable for the cost of repairing anything they did paint without permission.

FarmerJ

repainting yes charge them , re seeding grass yes you can charge them the cost of the seed if you do it your self. very easily and there should not be any problem re legal challenges to either but id suggest you buy primer and thats what you charge for as well the priming labor if you hire it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">