• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions landlords ask previous landlords?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexa137

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
what are the main questions that a new landlord would ask a previous landlord about a potential tenant? just curious because i have been trying to move for a few months now and my current landlord has been lying to people. I dont think she wants me to move! she made some false accusations and i got denied to an apartment complex. i dont want this to happen again because i have to get out of this place, its too noisy and expensive and inconvenient for me- ireally need to know asap
i have even thought about calling one of my previous landlords pretending to me one and ask questions about myself just so i know!
thanks for any help!

Alaska landlord

Is the tenant in default of the rent?
Is the tenant a late payer?
is the tenant a complainer?
is the tenant a clean tenant
is the tenant cooperative? (got this one from Cville
Has the tenant caused any damage to the apartment? If yes, how much?
Have you ever had to serve the tenant for any reason at all?

Cvillecpm

".....i have even thought about calling one of my previous landlords pretending to me one and ask questions about myself just so i know!"

This tells me why your landlord is not giving you a good reference. If you do this, don't call from a phone that you have called her from before.

You would be better to rent directly from a small landlord rather than one who will screen your application so thoroughly!!

thanks for any help!

Tayla

Is the tenant in default of the rent?
Is the tenant a late payer?
is the tenant a complainer?
is the tenant a clean tenant
is the tenant cooperative? (got this one from Cville
Has the tenant caused any damage to the apartment? If yes, how much?
Is the tenant a complainer:

A tenant has the right ( most often even written in a lease-) To alert the managment/landlord of repairs, if those repairs are not made in a timely manner or impair necessary living standards , no heat, no hot water, no water. Then heavens forbid if they complain to another source. There goes that tenants right to ever get approved at a safe and reliable place.

Notice how these questions are Black/White questions: Yes or NO.

Never seeing that yes, in some cases - the resident was served...and then it was found out the the LANDLORD's STAFF Goofed and didnt post the check that was written to the complex by the date required.
Being served twice for Failure to pay is ridiculous! Both times the cancelled check along with the receipt had to be produced because the staff just couldn't remember what they did with that silly piece of paper! An apology was given but the fact remained- Tenant was served. So your question leaves no room for error on any sides.
Yes according to the question- The Landlord would quite grinningly be able to say- Why YES I did have to serve (that reliable tenant.) Thank heavens you didnt ask me about my staff not keeping accurate records.

Sorry but some business's are run by humans who DO make mistakes.

Bottom line in many rental business's is: the Landlord has the right to deny applicant without giving a reason.

Alaska landlord

Is the tenant a complainer:

A tenant has the right ( most often even written in a lease-) To alert the managment/landlord of repairs, if those repairs are not made in a timely manner or impair necessary living standards , no heat, no hot water, no water. Then heavens forbid if they complain to another source. There goes that tenants right to ever get approved at a safe and reliable place.

Notice how these questions are Black/White questions: Yes or NO.

Never seeing that yes, in some cases - the resident was served...and then it was found out the the LANDLORD's STAFF Goofed and didnt post the check that was written to the complex by the date required.
Being served twice for Failure to pay is ridiculous! Both times the cancelled check along with the receipt had to be produced because the staff just couldn't remember what they did with that silly piece of paper! An apology was given but the fact remained- Tenant was served. So your question leaves no room for error on any sides.
Yes according to the question- The Landlord would quite grinningly be able to say- Why YES I did have to serve (that reliable tenant.) Thank heavens you didnt ask me about my staff not keeping accurate records.

Sorry but some business's are run by humans who DO make mistakes.
A landlord has an investment to protect. If you as a landlord are willing to accept marginal tenants with less than desirable traits, then it is your choice. After all, it is you that has to deal with the consequences. The bottom line is the question posed by another member. “ Would you rent to this person again”

Bottom line in many rental business's is: the Landlord has the right to deny applicant without giving a reason.
Actually, you better be able to come up with a reason should the applicant decide to legally challenge your decision.

Last edited:

Tayla

Glad that the Poster is getting some important information and that is the applicant can challenge the Prospective Landlords decision for denial.

Alaska landlord

New landlord only needs to follow criteria based on state, local and federal guidelines.
Applicant needs to have credible information regarding the act of discrimination. This is easier said than done. If new landlord turns down applicant based on former LL’s information, the applicant by suing new LL would be barking up the wrong tree.

Cvillecpm

Professional landlords know not to answer phone call next-landlord references. They request that "questions" be faxed or e-mailed and then they complete, sign and date them.

alexa137

well i got my friend to make the call and she gave me all positive references!
always on time no problems etc..
strange because she gave me negative back in february! wondering if i should try to go back there instead? because if she gave someone a positive for me then why wouldnt she rent to me again?
im just curious!
might try!
well at least i know now and dont have to wonder anymore!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">