• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quiet Enjoyment/Feeling safe in home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alljams2001

What is the name of your state ? South Carolina

Folks, this is going to sound like a bad "reality show" episode, but I assure you all of it is true.

We have been living in our apartment for 4 years. In that time, we have only been late on our rent once, and have paid the fee.
When you live somewhere this long, you make friends, and our friend happened to be the maintenance man that has been working here for 8 years.
The landlord and him had been friends for over 25 years.
We had functions, birthday parties, etc. where most of the complex was invited. The landlord initiated this.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, our maintenance man had a personal falling out with the landlord. Things were very tense, and they both asked me if I would try
to "mediate" the situation. Lesson learned- NEVER try to mediate unless you are a professional. But, what's done is done.

When they couldn't agree, the landlord asked for his key back from the maintenance man. The maintenance man asked if he was terminated; The landlord stated "This is the worst day of my life".
Anger ensued, and before we knew it, police were called, etc.etc. From the way it looked, an outsider would have thought the two were married, and it was a domestic squabble.

And that's where the problem lies. The landlord, for whatever reason, has turned this working friendship into an "relationship". He is gay, the maintenance man isn't. They aren't talking, but because they were so involved with each other's lives, they put it upon me to "settle" things. The maintenance man doesn't live here on the property. So, the landlord put a "no trespass" notice on him. Then the landlord calls, text, emails and "drops by" my apartment to "talk' about the situation. He gives me papers to give to the maintenance man. I email the landlord, and tell him the maintenance man will be over to get them. When he shows up, the landlord sends me emails and text wanting to know why he's violating the trespass order. I text him back, stating this is bordering on harassment. He then sends me 15 TEXT about this. I have told him I don't want to be involved. I have over 100 emails from my landlord about this.

Oh, and another thing. He hired a "new" maintenance man, who, even he states he isn't, he's currently working on the apartment next door. This guy is a known sex offender (rape 3rd degree), and is currently out on bond for assaulting 2 female police officers. I have records, and video of him working on not one, but two apartments here in the complex. The land lord states he can hire anyone he wants to.

Sorry to be so long, but any help would be appreciated.

I can't move right now. I broke my shoulder, and currently am in therapy. I am at a total loss here. What is it they say about no good deed goes unpunished?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state ? South Carolina

Folks, this is going to sound like a bad "reality show" episode, but I assure you all of it is true.

We have been living in our apartment for 4 years. In that time, we have only been late on our rent once, and have paid the fee.
When you live somewhere this long, you make friends, and our friend happened to be the maintenance man that has been working here for 8 years.
We had functions, birthday parties, etc. where most of the complex was invited. The landlord initiated this.

Well, about 3 weeks ago, our maintenance man had a personal falling out with the landlord. Things were very tense, and they both asked me if I would try
to "mediate" the situation. Lesson learned- NEVER try to mediate unless you are a professional. But, what's done is done.
Learned that too late.

When they couldn't agree, the landlord asked for his key back from the maintenance man. The maintenance man asked if he was terminated; The landlord stated "This is the worst day of my life".
Anger ensued, and before we knew it, police were called, etc.etc. From the way it looked, an outsider would have thought the two were married, and it was a domestic squabble.

And that's where the problem lies. The landlord, for whatever reason, has turned this working friendship into an "relationship". He is gay, the maintenance man isn't. They aren't talking, but because they were so involved with each other's lives, they put it upon me to "settle" things. The maintenance man doesn't live here on the property. So, the landlord put a "no trespass" notice on him. Then the landlord calls, text, emails and "drops by" my apartment to "talk' about the situation. He gives me papers to give to the maintenance man. I email the landlord, and tell him the maintenance man will be over to get them. When he shows up, the landlord sends me emails and text wanting to know why he's violating the trespass order. I text him back, stating this is bordering on harassment. He then sends me 15 TEXT about this. I have told him I don't want to be involved. I have over 100 emails from my landlord about this.
So take yourself OUT of the middle. Don't deliver papers and don't continue having discussions about it.

Oh, and another thing. He hired a "new" maintenance man, who, even he states he isn't, he's currently working on the apartment next door. This guy is a known sex offender (rape 3rd degree), and is currently out on bond for assaulting 2 female police officers. I have records, and video of him working on not one, but two apartments here in the complex. The land lord states he can hire anyone he wants to.
And? The landlord did nothing wrong. Charges aren't convictions. Why did you take video of him working?

I can't move right now. I broke my shoulder, and currently am in therapy. I am at a total loss here. What is it they say about no good deed goes unpunished?
You can't move but you can stalk the new maintenance man and video record him working. You don't have a legal issue. You have a lack of backbone issue.

neva1

This is not a legal advice, but if you are not feeling safe, and I would be if I were you, with a 3rd degree sex offender, having access to my place (you know he most probably has a pass-key given by the landlord), I would move out, no matter what the cost is. I am sure you have some family and good friends, concerned about you, from whom you can collectively borrow a few hundred bucks to hire moving men and a rental truck to move.

Again, I am not a legal expert, but when your landlord is saying he is free to hire anyone, he is telling you the truth. Unless this new maintenance person, is wanted by the legal authorities and living as a fugitive, he has a right to work and until the day he becomes stupid and assault another person, there is not much you can do, other than hoping the assaulted one is not you.

Sorry to hear your situation by life is not fair most of the time. Sometimes, I wish I had lived in a Utopian society, as depicted in the movie "Minority Report" where, somehow, you can detect the crimes before they take place :)

alljams2001

Learned that too late.

So take yourself OUT of the middle. Don't deliver papers and don't continue having discussions about it.

And? The landlord did nothing wrong. Charges aren't convictions. Why did you take video of him working?

You can't move but you can stalk the new maintenance man and video record him working. You don't have a legal issue. You have a lack of backbone issue.
Tried taking myself out of the middle. Still get emails, text from landlord. Don't respond, but still get them.
Taking a video of a maintenance man working was nothing more than walking out my front door w/my cell phone. Don't think that's considered stalking. With a pending assault charge against 2 cops, and a rape conviction, maybe he'll skip bail and move to Ohio.
If I get a backbone, will you give me the money to move, and help me do it? Broke shoulder, couldn't move much even if I had the money to do it. And are you going to let me move in with you when said backbone backfires and I get an eviction notice? Been here 4 years, no lease.

Silverplum

Tried taking myself out of the middle. Still get emails, text from landlord. Don't respond, but still get them.
Taking a video of a maintenance man working was nothing more than walking out my front door w/my cell phone. Don't think that's considered stalking. With a pending assault charge against 2 cops, and a rape conviction, maybe he'll skip bail and move to Ohio.
If I get a backbone, will you give me the money to move, and help me do it? Broke shoulder, couldn't move much even if I had the money to do it. And are you going to let me move in with you when said backbone backfires and I get an eviction notice? Been here 4 years, no lease.
My guess is NO.

:rolleyes:

Gail in Georgia

" We have been living in our apartment for 4 years. In that time, we have only been late on our rent once, and have paid the fee.

I can't move right now. I broke my shoulder, and currently am in therapy. I am at a total loss here. What is it they say about no good deed goes unpunished? "

Do you have a legal question?

You got yourself in this pickle by agreeing to be the "go between" for the landlord and the former maintenance man. You can continue to ignore the emails or you can tell the landlord to knock it off, running the risk of pissing him off so he terminates your month to month tenancy (an easy thing to do in most states). This would solve the issue of dealing with maintenance guy number 2 since you'd be moving out of the place soon anyway.

Gail

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well this tells me that part of this problem is your attitude. Carry on. You don't have a legal problem. You have an attitude problem -- namely YOUR attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">