• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racist bigot neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

romeoguy

Hi there!

Here's my situation: I have a loud and obnoxious neighbor who lives underneath me. At times, he plays loud music at 3am on a weekdays, or 6am on a Sunday morning (like today).

The first time, I tried to knock on his door and reason with him. He flatly rejected my plea to turn the volume down. So I called the police who warned him. The second time, today, I was awoken at 6.30am to his loud music and constant babbling. I'm guessing he was really drunk. I stomped on the floor to let him know he was too loud (I knew going to his door would not help). He started babbling racial slurs at me and refused to turn down the volume. I called in the police who issued him a hefty citation ($540 in our town, for disturbing the peace).

We always suspected he didn't like us for some reason. Now we're sure why. He's a racist bigot who no respect for others living around him. My girlfriend (also my roomate) is scared he might hurt us. So I called my landlord and informed her of his latest behavior (my girlfriend had expressed concerns about his music habits before too). She did not seem to be too keen to come to our aid. She ended up reminding me that she would sue me if I decided to move out before our lease expired (it runs out in May of 2002). In fact, eight hours later when I called her back to check if she had had a talk with my neighbor, she said she had been too busy to get to it. I feel I am falling short of doors to knock on.

What are my options of my neighbor continues his behavior? Is there ANY way I can legally break my contract to free myself of this harrasment since my landlord is not on my side? Am I entitled to suing my neighbor for harrasment or being a nuisance? What would I need to get a good case against him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">