• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rasing Rents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, city-Cincinnati
I would like to raise the monthly rents on my apartments. I have one or two tenants that are still under a year lease. The rest of the tenants are on month-to-month.
I don't plan to raise the rent until September of this year and I know I have to give at least a 30 day written notice that the rent is increasing.
My question is: May I raise the rent on the tenants that are still under the year lease?
and if I can
Do I need to do anything other than giving them a 30 day written notice of the increase?

FarmerJ

If your written leases say that you may increase the rent mid term then you can, if they do not say that then NO , your month to month renters you do not have to wait you can send them proper written notice of the increase and when it will begin.( this would be a good time to get it done with the month to month tenants so by June 1 they will be paying the new rate.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, city-Cincinnati
I would like to raise the monthly rents on my apartments. I have one or two tenants that are still under a year lease. The rest of the tenants are on month-to-month.
I don't plan to raise the rent until September of this year and I know I have to give at least a 30 day written notice that the rent is increasing.
My question is: May I raise the rent on the tenants that are still under the year lease?
and if I can
Do I need to do anything other than giving them a 30 day written notice of the increase?
You need to learn the LL Laws of your state or hire an attorney do deal with your business. :)

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Stover please keep in mind that your leases with tenants are to be your bible so to speak and if you were to attempt to change any term mid lease and if some of us were your tenant we would have no problem providing you with teaching moments Im not sure where you got the idea you could change terms from since the answer has always been in your copies of the leases. NOW on a very serious note in court because rental housing is considered to be a business you really do have to know what your doing and losing in court because of not knowing something or trying to do something the lease with a tenant does not allow gets spendy since you will lose your filing fees and walk away having to start from scratch.

mwooster

Stover please keep in mind that your leases with tenants are to be your bible so to speak and if you were to attempt to change any term mid lease and if some of us were your tenant we would have no problem providing you with teaching moments Im not sure where you got the idea you could change terms from since the answer has always been in your copies of the leases. NOW on a very serious note in court because rental housing is considered to be a business you really do have to know what your doing and losing in court because of not knowing something or trying to do something the lease with a tenant does not allow gets spendy since you will lose your filing fees and walk away having to start from scratch.
Agree completely with this guy. Raising the rent during the leasing yr under the lease is not allowed in most parts, if my housing intuition is right (probably got that info from a housing fair here in Maryland).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">