• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reason for breaking the lease: roaches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackdaw1

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I signed a 1-year lease 09/01/2005. According to my contract, if I move out before the lease is over, I will lose two monthly deposits. I cannot sub-lease or find anybody to take up my lease.

Not that anybody would want to, though. Ever since I moved in, there have been enormous amounts of roaches in the apartment. I have complained and written letters to the management, and Mr. Exterminator has been coming and treating my unit, but with no luck.

My question is: are the roaches a plausible (legal) reason to break the lease? If the management cannot provide the tenant with normal living conditions, can the tenant leave before the contract is over and get all the money back?

Any advice, legal or not, or sharing your experience will be highly appreciated!!!

HomeGuru

Jackdaw1 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I signed a 1-year lease 09/01/2005. According to my contract, if I move out before the lease is over, I will lose two monthly deposits. I cannot sub-lease or find anybody to take up my lease.

Not that anybody would want to, though. Ever since I moved in, there have been enormous amounts of roaches in the apartment. I have complained and written letters to the management, and Mr. Exterminator has been coming and treating my unit, but with no luck.

My question is: are the roaches a plausible (legal) reason to break the lease? If the management cannot provide the tenant with normal living conditions, can the tenant leave before the contract is over and get all the money back?

Any advice, legal or not, or sharing your experience will be highly appreciated!!!

**A: not a valid reason unless when you come home from work, a roach is sitting in your Lazy Boy reading your daily newpaper and one is in the kitchen cooking the next meal.

BL

HomeGuru said:
**A: not a valid reason unless when you come home from work, a roach is sitting in your Lazy Boy reading your daily newpaper and one is in the kitchen cooking the next meal.
Or they start wearing combat boots and stomping your brains out ....

As long as Mr. exterminator is coming , it's a non issue . These things take time .

If after a few months , talk to the LL about a diff. Co. to exterminate . Some newer methods are pretty effective , in a short period of time .

HomeGuru

Blonde Lebinese said:
Or they start wearing combat boots and stomping your brains out ....

**A: and the leader's name is Osama.

As long as Mr. exterminator is coming , it's a non issue . These things take time .

If after a few months , talk to the LL about a diff. Co. to exterminate . Some newer methods are pretty effective , in a short period of time .

**A: pose the idea of tenting the entire building.

Gadfly

Must be something in your place attarcting them. When was the last time you cleaned?

On the serious side what would you do it you owned a home and had a roach problem. Would you just have the bug guy come once a month, or would you take additional steps to make your place liveable? Buy some bug spray.

south

Find out which roach is the biggest badest one of all and walk up to it and punch it on the nose, the rest will get the idea and probably leave..

Jackdaw1 said:
It has been 4 months already, and the whole building has been treated, but they are still coming.

HomeGuru

south said:
Find out which roach is the biggest badest one of all and walk up to it and punch it on the nose, the rest will get the idea and probably leave..

**A: that is an old wive's tale to do when a shark attacks.

ENASNI

oh yeah

south said:
I dunno it worked for me on the school bully..

OH YEAH>>> well as soon as I find you buddy, you are gonna feel it where you wanta not!

hee hee only kidding.

Roaches no makey you breaky your leasey.

Yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">