• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasonable time for eviction if no "waist" & rent paid???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sohaney

I am renting a home split up into three different units: top floor, main floor (which my family and I rent), and basement.

Our landlords have decided to evict us based on complaints that have received about excessive noise: my 4 and 3-year old daughters running and jumping. Originally, this weekend, the landlord paid me a visit and warned me that if I did not "work things out" with our neighbor downstairs, that I would have until July 1st to move out. He added that our neighbor downstairs would have to call him personally to inform him that we had talked and made ammends.

Well, I talked in detail with our downstairs neighbor and basically decided to start over - clean slate. We shook hands on a definitely positive note and he agreed to give the landlord that call.

When he called the landlord, the landlord had changed his mind and informed our neighbor that he still planned on kicking us out, and that nothing would change his mind this time. That evening the landlady appeared (accompanied by a city policeman) and she handed me a notice which informs us that we must leave by June 30, 2001.

We are not behind in rent, the home has not been laid to "waiste", besides the normal wear and tear that should be expected: dirty carpets really the only arguable wear.

Being in the state of Indiana, and the fact that there is my wife myself and our four children (4, 3, and 1-year old twins), can they legally force us out in this rediculous amount of time? I've heard 60 days, and 90 days. HELP!!!

D

dj1

Well the first DUMB question is do you have a lease?

second DUMB question did you pay 2 months security or laast months rent?

First dumb answer ...with NO lease and one months security YOU are a BAD PARENT for not protecting your kids and having a lease.and 30 days is ALL you get... so move!

First good answer...with a lease the landlord cannot evict you without taking you to court and Winning!

N

Nikalibe

You might want to check your state statutes. They can be found online most the time. In my state depending on the length of your tenancy you are given so many days to vacate after proper notice is given. Good luck! I hope you find something to help you get your answers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">