• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received unlawful detainer before 60 day notice is up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timmiemf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This morning I was served with an unlawful detainer. I had already been served with a 60 day notice to surrender the property, and that does not expire until 11/09/2011. Is this legal?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This morning I was served with an unlawful detainer. I had already been served with a 60 day notice to surrender the property, and that does not expire until 11/09/2011. Is this legal?
Under normal circumstances, no. The unlawful detainer should be rejected (with a proper response) because the LL's filing of the unlawful detainer action was premature.

Were you served with any other notices after the 60-day notice and before the UD was filed/served upon you? Even with a 60-day notice pending, that would not preclude LL from serving you with a 3-day notice to pay or quit if you failed to pay your rent. If that happened, and the 3 days passed without LL receiving proper payment, then it would be well within his rights to file the UD on that basis.

CourtClerk

Look on the complaint (page 2) and see when the plaintiff is claiming they served the notice and when they claim it expires.

Type that information here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">