• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovering unpaid rent from a phony minister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krusader6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi. A loandlord here. I just had a tenant skip out on me after not paying rent for three months. Obtained a judgment from the justice of the peace, including a writ of possession. He is liable to pay me 3 months' rent by law. But there is no real enforcement mechanism, as he owns very little property, and doesn't have a bank account.

But he is a preacher, with over 3000 followers on facebook.

I found out that he uses a different "preacher name" from his real name. His real name brings up criminal records rather quickly.

Would it be illegal for me to inform him that unless he pays me the back rent, I will email his church followers about his wrongdoings, including his criminal records? I don't see this as criminal extortion or blackmail, as the money owed is rightfully mine, according to the court. Also, the church has the right to know about their pastor being a criminal.

Any legal advice would be greatly appreciated.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi. A loandlord here. I just had a tenant skip out on me after not paying rent for three months. Obtained a judgment from the justice of the peace, including a writ of possession. He is liable to pay me 3 months' rent by law. But there is no real enforcement mechanism, as he owns very little property, and doesn't have a bank account.

But he is a preacher, with over 3000 followers on facebook.

I found out that he uses a different "preacher name" from his real name. His real name brings up criminal records rather quickly.

Would it be illegal for me to inform him that unless he pays me the back rent, I will email his church followers about his wrongdoings, including his criminal records? I don't see this as criminal extortion or blackmail, as the money owed is rightfully mine, according to the court. Also, the church has the right to know about their pastor being a criminal.

Any legal advice would be greatly appreciated.
If your former tenant has no property and no bank account, how is revealing (what may or may not be) his criminal history to others, or threatening him with disclosure, going to help you collect on your judgment?

I recommend you follow legal collection procedures and skip the improvisation.

FarmerJ

If your going to out him for the sake of dragging his butt out of his lying closet then do it , just keep in mind that you wont likely ever be paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">