• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refundable vs Nonrefundable pet deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

As a landlord can I charge both a refundable and a nonrefundable pet deposit? My thinking behind this is that at the end of the lease I want to fumigate for any potential fleas/ticks/etc. even if I don't see any just to be on the safe side before another tenant moves in (just because you don't initially see them doesn't mean there aren't eggs waiting to hatch and I woudln't want to have any problems later on trying to get reimbursed - and this way I'd know for sure that there isn't anything lingering in the house before a new tenant moves in). I would like to charge a non-refundable pet deposit to cover the costs of fumigating ("fogging" the house) and a refundable pet deposit that would cover any actual damages to the home caused by the pet. Is this allowed in Virginia?

atomizer

First you have to determine if you fall under the VRLTA (Virginia residential landlord tenant act)
If not, then sure. If you do fall under VRLTA, then read it and determine on your own.

Be careful with the word fee and deposit. They don't mean the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">