• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusing to renew lease due to complaints about repairs not done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledMom656

To Alaska Landlord: Let me set the story straight. I have NOT accepted help from my neighbors for repairs or cleaning my place up. We, as a neighborhood, call the police when we see something illegal going on. We've cleaned the neighborhood up - NOT my part of the duplex.

And I have not pulled the 'disability card'. But it is much harder to move because I have to hire movers.

I didn't understand what you meant by "the Fair Housing Act has exemptions and your landlord may be legally exempt under the provisions of the act."

And hopefully I won't have to fight this - I got an email today that the real estate thinks the owner will renew my lease. I have done most of our coorespondance via email so I have copies and she sends me emails back so I have copies of those too. I sent her a copy of an email she sent me in Sept about doing the repairs. That's when she emailed me back saying they'd get the repairs finished and the owner might renew.

About the faucet issue: I rent half of a house - duplex. I pay my own water and sewer. The water valve works, just the handle is hard to turn. It broke it's so hard to turn.
Thanks

Last edited:

DisabledMom656

To Cvillecpm: I'm not arguing with you, but I do have the right to set the story straight. First of all I'm not going to qualify/defend my disability on this site. And I don't get unpaid, unprofessional repair work. I don't know how anyone got that idea! People seem to be reading a lot more between the lines. You know like the story a person says in someone's ear and by the time it goes thru 10 people it's totally different.

I have permission to have accent walls painted. I mentioned the pet deposit so someone - probably someone like you - didn't think I had a pets without permission. I was promised repairs - in writing.

I suggest you like to see everything your own way and have your own way.

Alaska landlord

The reason I want to stay is all of that is cleaned up now - With a lot of neighborhood effort and the landlord across the street evicting his tenants. And just this past week, after living here 8 months, they finally finished fixing the fence right and I can put my dog out and she can run! Others repairs were closing up a hole in the eave where rodents were getting into the attic, caulking around the tub/shower (I'm horrible at it), fixing nail poking up through the carpet from the tack strips (I tried doing what I could)

Sorry, I kind of have a tendency to respond to the written word as written and not as revised at a later post.

DisabledMom656

...there were 3 drug houses near me for the first 6 months. One was the other half of my duplex and two were across the street. We even had a driveby shooting and my car window was shot out (along with two from next door). Luckily no one was injured.

The reason I want to stay is all of that is cleaned up now - With a lot of neighborhood effort and the landlord across the street evicting his tenants.
To AK LL: Sorry, I guess I changed subjects there. I Know what I'm talking about. Sometimes it's hard to convey so others do too! I figured anyone reading this would think I was out of my mind to want to stay in a neighborhood like this - that's why I said it at all. My son's best friend lives 4 houses from us- his mother helped us find the place. AND with the big repairs done now (fence and flooding issue resolved), we want to stay. A lot of the little stuff I did do myself.

Oh, and the landlord across the street is a different owner and landlord than mine. That one is actually managed by the family that owns it not a real estate company. He went into my next door neighbor's unit (the other half of the duplex I live in) and saw a sawed-off shot gun by their front door. I did call my agent and tell her about it - and the police. She let the tenant next door to me stay through the end of their lease which ended in Jan. I don't know if they were evicted or opted to move out due to neighborhood pressure and the police showing up all the time. US Marshalls came and took two guys out of the unit one day...

Thanks for your and everyone's help. Let me say now that my landlord and I are working things out. I don't have any more complaints - the repairs have been finally done (though it took 8 months). Bad neighbors are gone and things are settling down. But it's good to know the law too...:)

(This is my first time on a public site and I just learned how to do the quote thing and icons)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">