• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

regarding apartment rental to registered sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -oregon-my husband is a registered sex offender-his conviction was in 2001,he was released in 2003, and he completed post-prision supervision and mandatory counceling in 2005
The problem is we are currently trying to find an appartment to rent in portland oregon, and because he is a registered sex offender,apartment complexes we have applied to so far say we are disqualified do to his being registered alone-several said not to even bother with application,because we would be turned down the minuite background check came back-this is driving me crazy-is there anyone/anyway we can even be given a chance,or anything we can do?

sandyclaus

Probably not...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -oregon-my husband is a registered sex offender-his conviction was in 2001,he was released in 2003, and he completed post-prision supervision and mandatory counceling in 2005
The problem is we are currently trying to find an appartment to rent in portland oregon, and because he is a registered sex offender,apartment complexes we have applied to so far say we are disqualified do to his being registered alone-several said not to even bother with application,because we would be turned down the minuite background check came back-this is driving me crazy-is there anyone/anyway we can even be given a chance,or anything we can do?
There isn't much you can do. Either you disclose the information to potential LLs or they will find out in the application/background process anyway. Your only chance is to find someplace that won't require such a screening, but those places are few & far between.

It's not considered discrimination in any way. Those LLs aren't doing anything wrong, only protecting their tenants from the exposure to a potential criminal, a registered sex offender to boot. If the LLs rent to you, and another tenant finds out, you'd end up having to leave or he risks another established tenant leaving themselves.

The unfortunate truth is that most registered sex offenders end up re-offending. No LL in his/her right mind is going to knowingly put his other tenants at risk from this.

You, as a spouse of the offender, have a tough road ahead of you. You either put up with the rejection such a relationship creates, or move on. No judgment, but I personally couldn't remain married to someone who was a known sex offender. It would be just too much of a burden to handle for me.

FarmerJ

Your only real option is to keep trying to rent something hoping that the LL will be more tolerant like a single family home or purchasing a home.

Cvillecpm

Go buy a house through ACORN.....you should be looking at Craigslist for rentals from individual property owners and not multi-unit or pro landlords who will know to check sex offender lists....like bad credit, you need to approach landlords who don't have the knowledge or resources to check

You Are Guilty

Given the 300+ million people in this country, statistics tell us that there must be at least a few sex offender landlords out there. Those are the ones you should apply to.

Who's Liable?

Also note that some police departments MUST REPORT the location of ALL registered sex offenders to the public per their state law.

There are also some places sex offenders cannot live, ie; within 1 mile of schools, etc., and some states/cities deem a certain location where a sex offender CAN live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">