• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation and breaking a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have been offered a job a considerable distance from where I am now. I recently vacated a house I shared with a housemate and her kids. I was feeling unsafe because one son had violent tendencies, and the landlords said it was okay for me to move out.

I am told in Missouri, they cannot hold me to a lease if I move over a certain distance away (and I am moving almost 700 miles.) Is this accurate? My lease does not mention relocation as a way of breaking the lease. The house IS still occupied with the other family.

Thanks.

ENASNI

um

First you say you moved and landlord said it was okay, then you are asking if moving 700 miles is a lease breaker? I am confused and not about to do research until you clarify... not being a witch here. Just want to know what you are talking about.

south

Thats a new one who told you that a friend?

And besides if landlord told you you can move out get it in writing.

Beachguy3b said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have been offered a job a considerable distance from where I am now. I recently vacated a house I shared with a housemate and her kids. I was feeling unsafe because one son had violent tendencies, and the landlords said it was okay for me to move out.

I am told in Missouri, they cannot hold me to a lease if I move over a certain distance away (and I am moving almost 700 miles.) Is this accurate? My lease does not mention relocation as a way of breaking the lease. The house IS still occupied with the other family.

Thanks.

ENASNI said:
First you say you moved and landlord said it was okay, then you are asking if moving 700 miles is a lease breaker? I am confused and not about to do research until you clarify... not being a witch here. Just want to know what you are talking about.

Not a problem! I knew there would be something I had to clarify.

I left the residence on Wednesday night because I was in fear of my safety. I am stuck in a motel room, because I was awaiting this offer. Thus, I am not in the residence but still on the lease.

ENASNI

um

Is your friend Ashton Kutcher? because you were Punk'd on that 700 mile clause thingy... Military only has a clause about moving in Missouri, Sorry beachguy... Gotta try to sublease, but that might be hard if you are gonna try to find someone else (or LL is ) to move in with Norman Bates... if it is as bad as you say.

Good luck

ENASNI said:
Is your friend Ashton Kutcher? because you were Punk'd on that 700 mile clause thingy... Military only has a clause about moving in Missouri, Sorry beachguy... Gotta try to sublease, but that might be hard if you are gonna try to find someone else (or LL is ) to move in with Norman Bates... if it is as bad as you say.

Good luck

Thanks. I need it. They are a destructive family. Luckily the landlord documented the damage done last night, and it is my belief I will not be held responsible for the stuff further. It burns me up that ALL the damage was from her kids, but I was the fool who brought them in.

The lanlord has already said he is going to weight the options as to whether to allow the elase to be changed removing my name.

ENASNI

Otay

Beachguy3b said:
Thanks. I need it. They are a destructive family. Luckily the landlord documented the damage done last night, and it is my belief I will not be held responsible for the stuff further. It burns me up that ALL the damage was from her kids, but I was the fool who brought them in.

The lanlord has already said he is going to weight the options as to whether to allow the elase to be changed removing my name.
IF, (big IF) he does... get it in writing.. Don't just move 700 miles away and then be surprised with a big bill later...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">