• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Fees due?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KimtheJ

What is the name of your state? California. Glendale, to be exact.

In October, 2002, my boyfriend and I moved from Los Angeles to Glendale. When we first met with our landlord's agent, we signed a year lease. Then we got a call a couple days later (after we'd already had our new bed delivered) saying that he wasn't supposed to have us sign a year lease, but a month-to-month instead, because the owner was looking to sell the property. Well, after speaking with the tenants in the other two units on the lot (we were in half of a duplex, and there was a small house behind it), who told us they'd both been there at least two years, we decided (stupidly) that we would go ahead and sign a mtm lease instead.

Everything was fine, until we got a 60-day notice of eviction because they were going to demolish our home. It was then that we found out that the "owner" was the company that put us in the place to begin with. Which basically means that they lied to us. Well, we had to be out by March 1, 2003, and we were. We scrambled to find another place and moved out at the end of February.

I had looked into relocation assistance, but all the info I could find at the time said there was none possible for Glendale tenants because there is no rent control.

Well, we're having problems at our new place, and I started doing more research on constructive eviction. I found a glendale tenant association website, and it had listed an ordinance that required relocation assistance be provided if the place was being demolished. The original ordinance was passed at the end of September, 2002, but did not have the relocation assistance portion in it. On January 21, 2003, they amended and added to the ordinance, including the relocation assistance deal. The ordinance, as stated on the actual document, would take effect 30 days later, on February 20th. That's prior to us moving out, but not prior to us receiving our notice.

Are we able to get the relocation assistance money? If it makes any difference, they didn't actually demolish the property until earlier this month (oct. '03), which means we probably could have stayed there. I don't know if they were just trying to get around paying or what, but, any help would be greatly appreciated.

here's the ordinance in full: http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/images/Ordinance5340.pdf

HomeGuru

KimtheJ said:
What is the name of your state? California. Glendale, to be exact.

In October, 2002, my boyfriend and I moved from Los Angeles to Glendale. When we first met with our landlord's agent, we signed a year lease. Then we got a call a couple days later (after we'd already had our new bed delivered) saying that he wasn't supposed to have us sign a year lease, but a month-to-month instead, because the owner was looking to sell the property. Well, after speaking with the tenants in the other two units on the lot (we were in half of a duplex, and there was a small house behind it), who told us they'd both been there at least two years, we decided (stupidly) that we would go ahead and sign a mtm lease instead.

Everything was fine, until we got a 60-day notice of eviction because they were going to demolish our home. It was then that we found out that the "owner" was the company that put us in the place to begin with. Which basically means that they lied to us. Well, we had to be out by March 1, 2003, and we were. We scrambled to find another place and moved out at the end of February.

I had looked into relocation assistance, but all the info I could find at the time said there was none possible for Glendale tenants because there is no rent control.

Well, we're having problems at our new place, and I started doing more research on constructive eviction. I found a glendale tenant association website, and it had listed an ordinance that required relocation assistance be provided if the place was being demolished. The original ordinance was passed at the end of September, 2002, but did not have the relocation assistance portion in it. On January 21, 2003, they amended and added to the ordinance, including the relocation assistance deal. The ordinance, as stated on the actual document, would take effect 30 days later, on February 20th. That's prior to us moving out, but not prior to us receiving our notice.

Are we able to get the relocation assistance money? If it makes any difference, they didn't actually demolish the property until earlier this month (oct. '03), which means we probably could have stayed there. I don't know if they were just trying to get around paying or what, but, any help would be greatly appreciated.

here's the ordinance in full: http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/images/Ordinance5340.pdf
**A: it would appear that you have a case. Proceed.

K

KimtheJ

are you sure?

Thank you for responding so quickly to my plea for help.

So, then, do you believe we have a case even though we were served our 60-day notice !before! the fees addendum was added to the ordinance?

Just double-checking before I worry about paying for a lawyer.

Thanks again for your help. I realize you're not the judge who'd decide the case or anything, but I've read many of your posts on these forums and trust your opinion.

HomeGuru

I apologize as I misread your post. I was under the presumtion that the other tenants were under a m/m lease and you were on a fixed lease. Since you were a m/m tenant, L gave you proper notice to vacate and no relo assistance is due to you. You may confirm this by calling the Glendale tenant rights office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">