• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing a name from a lease...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Ms. D

I am currently sharing an apartment with a roomate who has threatened to call our management company and have my name taken off the lease (we are both named as the primary leassors on it) so he can start advertising for a new roomate. I, on the other hand do not wish to move. We also had a verbal agreement that if things didn't work out with us as roomates he would be the one to move out (which would be fine with me because I can swing the rent on my own). My question: Can he do this (call up the rental company and have my name removed without my consent) or is this just an empty threat?

HomeGuru

No, he can not do that. It's just an empty threat. and if you are a tenant, you are not a lessor but rather a lessee.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Empty threat, unless he has Power of Attorney for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">