• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renewed Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whadeduck

Myrtle Beach, SC

Back in November of last year, I helped a friend out and helped her and her two kids get an apartment by cosigning the six month lease. Looking back, it was a big mistake. In June, she renewed that lease for one year and they kept my name on it. Problem is, I didn't sign anything the second time around. Can the lease be renewed with my name on it without me signing it? If the new lease has my signature on it, it's been forged. The woman seems to be making little to no effort to straighten her financial situation out and I don't want to be stuck paying the rent for the duration of the lease. I have to pay the rent now to try and keep my credit in good standing. Otherwise, she'd already be on her own. Need some good solid information before I go after anyone.

Richard
Myrtle Beach, SC

JETX

whadeduck said:
In June, she renewed that lease for one year and they kept my name on it. Problem is, I didn't sign anything the second time around. Can the lease be renewed with my name on it without me signing it?
Yes, the lease can be renewed. However, your co-signing would not be included.
Have you contacted the apartment management in WRITING confirming that your co-signing on that original lease does NOT carryover to any new or subsequent leases.... and asked them to confirm in WRITING?? If not, do it.

W

whadeduck

I will send them a certified letter tomorrow requesting a copy of the lease. I'd be interested to see what's on it.

JETX

whadeduck said:
I will send them a certified letter tomorrow requesting a copy of the lease. I'd be interested to see what's on it.
That won't do you any good. Simply, they can refuse to provide the CURRENT lease to you as you are not a leaseholder.
Ask them to confirm as I suggested.

W

whadeduck

That's what I meant to say was that the letter will state that, if my name is on the lease, I want to get a copy of it. If my name isn't on the lease then I'll ask them to confirm that in writing.

W

whadeduck

New Twist

I posted the earlier message about my name being put on a renewed lease without my knowledge. I found out that my name was on the lease. But it was put there by the woman I cosigned the six month lease for. When she went in to sign the new one-year lease, the management told her that they still needed my name to be on the lease. She told them that my work schedule wouldn't allow me to just take off and do that. When she told them that, they then instructed the woman to sign my name to the lease while they literally looked the other way. I have now been told that I can remedy everything by going down to the office and signing the lease. This is something I will not do because it would surely mean paying the woman's rent for the next ten months or so. What I would like to know is how much leverage would I have against the apartment complex for having knowingly done this? They not only knowingly accepted forged documents, but instructed her to do so. While I don't want to continue to have to pay the woman's rent, I don't want to get her kicked out of the apartment either. Don't really want her four-year-old little girl to be homeless if I can avoid it. Some good advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

whadeduck said:
What I would like to know is how much leverage would I have against the apartment complex for having knowingly done this?
Simple. You have absolutely NO leverage at all. In fact, in trying to assert your 'leverage', would you like to bet that they deny ANY knowledge of what you claim???

They not only knowingly accepted forged documents, but instructed her to do so.
Of course, the only person telling you that is the tenant.... and you should already know her 'credibility'. Have you confronted the management about that assertion?? Have you visited the management and advised them of it not being your signature?? Did you follow that up in WRITING denying your signature and stating that you are NOT a co-signer on that lease and have NO liability to them??

While I don't want to continue to have to pay the woman's rent, I don't want to get her kicked out of the apartment either. Don't really want her four-year-old little girl to be homeless if I can avoid it.
Then you need to decide what you want to do, because I doubt you can have it both ways.... either 'protect' her by co-signing, or let the management do what they need to to protect themselves.

W

whadeduck

I have a meeting with them on Saturday. I'll tell the woman to be there (like it or not), and we'll get something done. Either way, my name's not going on the lease. BTW, does anyone know if they can backcharge you for past month's rent if they gave you a discounted rate even if you sign a brand new lease? To get my name off of it, that's what they're going to have to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">