• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renewing a lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheTeflonJohn

Hi,

Im renting a house and my current rent is 1800 a month utilities paid for. It is time to renew our lease and my landlord informs us that he is going to start making us pay for the utilities. On top of that he is raising the rent to 2000. Basically he is doing this because he has friends he wnts to move into our house since he resides above us amd he knows he's either going to get alot more money out of us or he will get to move his friends in. My question is is there any legal issues that we can use to prevent him in doing this. Most likely we will be moving out anyway and his friends will be moving in. Now i highly doubt that he will be charging his friends that high rent. Is there a way I could find out what he charges his friends?

One last thing is he is charging us for a broken window. The window is totaly our responsibility and we should pay for it. However before we moved in he told us he was going to redo our bathroom and kitchen and paint the whole house. A year later and he has not done one thing to the house. There is a whole in our kitchen taht has been there before we moved in that mice come out of. Our kitchen drawers and floor are filled with mice poop. After a year and a whole lot of nagging he never fixed anything. On top of that the lazy sh*t never once took his trash out and we did it for him every week. I really believe we should get all our safety deposit back do to this. Are there any legal issues that could help me?

Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TheTeflonJohn said:
Hi,

Im renting a house and my current rent is 1800 a month utilities paid for. It is time to renew our lease and my landlord informs us that he is going to start making us pay for the utilities. On top of that he is raising the rent to 2000. Basically he is doing this because he has friends he wnts to move into our house since he resides above us amd he knows he's either going to get alot more money out of us or he will get to move his friends in. My question is is there any legal issues that we can use to prevent him in doing this. Most likely we will be moving out anyway and his friends will be moving in. Now i highly doubt that he will be charging his friends that high rent. Is there a way I could find out what he charges his friends?

One last thing is he is charging us for a broken window. The window is totaly our responsibility and we should pay for it. However before we moved in he told us he was going to redo our bathroom and kitchen and paint the whole house. A year later and he has not done one thing to the house. There is a whole in our kitchen taht has been there before we moved in that mice come out of. Our kitchen drawers and floor are filled with mice poop. After a year and a whole lot of nagging he never fixed anything. On top of that the lazy sh*t never once took his trash out and we did it for him every week. I really believe we should get all our safety deposit back do to this. Are there any legal issues that could help me?

Thanks in advance.

My response:

Why did you delete the State name question?

IAAL

T

TheTeflonJohn

Sorry Its Philadelphia Pennsylvania. I only filled in the required fields.

annefan

TheTeflonJohn said:
Hi,

** The landlord has the right, at the end of your current lease term, to renew the lease implementing any changes in language he pleases, including rent amounts, utility responsibilities, etc. The fact that he might have friends interested in residing in your unit doesn't matter legally. There is no way you can find out what he charges another tenant for rent. It is not public record like a real estate transaction is.

Thanks in advance.
** When you took possession, his verbal promises to repair or replace will not leave him liable to follow through. If he put it in writing and you retain a copy, then you may have recourse. Doing favors by removing trash was a gesture of your own doing and you are not legally owed compensation for that. Everyone deserves to get all of their security deposit returned, however, if you did not perform a walk-through inspection and note the problems in writing before you took possession, it will be difficult to prove that you are not responsible for them. The only point that might help you recapture your security deposit is that if you (1) give proper notice, within the terms of your lease, to vacate and do so on the exact date you specify; and (2) leave the property free of debris and clean thoroughly, take photographs of every room, corner, closet, storage area, appliance (inside & out), and around the exterior with standard film, preferably with automatic dating (digital photographs do not hold up well in civil court, as they can be altered).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">