• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berger

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I live in Taylor Michigan 48180 - and have been on a month to month lease and just got a notice on 4/11/06 that they are going to raise my rent as of 5/1/06. I thought they have to give me atleast a 30 days notice? What are my options? I am writing a letter letting them know I won\'t be giving May increase but will provide it for the June rent. Is this legal?

S

shell007

berger said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I live in Taylor Michigan 48180 - and have been on a month to month lease and just got a notice on 4/11/06 that they are going to raise my rent as of 5/1/06. I thought they have to give me atleast a 30 days notice? What are my options? I am writing a letter letting them know I won\'t be giving May increase but will provide it for the June rent. Is this legal?
Is there any way for your to prove that you did/didn't receive the notice untill the 11th. What date is typed on the letterhead from the LL?

berger

shellandty said:
Is there any way for your to prove that you did/didn't receive the notice untill the 11th. What date is typed on the letterhead from the LL?
They didn't put a date on the letter. Just says will take effect on 5/1/06, and the only witness I have is my wife who found the letter.

S

shell007

berger said:
They didn't put a date on the letter Just says will take effect on 5/1/06, and the only witness I have is my wife who found the letter.
What do you mean "FOUND the letter"?
Chances are the LL presented the letter within the 30 days notice required.

If you have NO proof (ie. postmark) that YOU did not get the letter until the 11th, I think LL will win this one.

berger

Found as in they stuck it on top my door handle after I had left for work. They didn't give it to her when she paid rent, and they didn't mail it. The APT manager walked it over to us and never said anything when Wife paid rent. Since THEY have no post mark date or have no way to prove they sent it ( I think) I'd fair more well off than they would in court.

S

shell007

berger said:
Found as in they stuck it on top my door handle after I had left for work. They didn't give it to her when she paid rent, and they didn't mail it. The APT manager walked it over to us and never said anything when Wife paid rent. Since THEY have no post mark date or have no way to prove they sent it ( I think) I'd fair more well off than they would in court.
HOw much is the rent increase for this ONE month that you refuse to pay?
How much is your time worth?

If this goes to court, it's going to be a he said/she said thing. LL will say he/she delivered the letter on the 1st, YOU say LL delivered the letter on the 11th. Blah, blah, blah!

Pay the rent increase for May and be done with it, unless you enjoy making mountains out of mole hills. It's really up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">