• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patikins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My landlord is raising my rent an additional $56.00 beginning next month. I moved in last October and signed a 1 year lease. No where in the lease does it say anything about raising my rent during the lease period. She tells me that she faxed it to me at my work as an addendum to the lease. Is this legal? She also told me that it isnt her raising the rent it's the park owner raising the rent. If this is the case, I should only have to pay the 3% increase for what she pays in rent and not what she charges me for rent. Is there any law that states she can't increase my rent until the lease is up?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gail in Georgia

Your rent is the amount that is stated in your lease and is to remain this amount until the lease expires at the end of September.

Unless you received and signed any so called addendum to the lease (thereby agreeing to this increase) your landlord is out of luck.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">