• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Increase Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tikisan

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm living in Virginia. I am on a year's lease that I pay rent monthly. There is an addendum on my lease saying that my landlord can increase the rent because of the higher oil prices, so I understand that they are allowed to increase the rent. However, I was under the impression that it is required to give a 30-day or months notice of this increase. The landlord gave me a notice on the 15th of Sept., so does that mean that I am not required to pay the increase until November? Is there somewhere I can look for this law for Virginia?

Thank you,

Heather

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tikisan said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm living in Virginia. I am on a year's lease that I pay rent monthly. There is an addendum on my lease saying that my landlord can increase the rent because of the higher oil prices, so I understand that they are allowed to increase the rent. However, I was under the impression that it is required to give a 30-day or months notice of this increase. The landlord gave me a notice on the 15th of Sept., so does that mean that I am not required to pay the increase until November? Is there somewhere I can look for this law for Virginia?

Thank you,

Heather

My response:

It's not a "rent" increase. It's a "costs" increase. When the damn "Towel Heads" and "Sand Monkeys" give us 30 day's notice, then you'll get 30 day's notice.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">