• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent Paid In Advance - Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chammett

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I started renting a room out of a house with a family on August 1, 2009. I gave them a $500 deposit and I paid the rent for 10 months in advance. I did this because I thought I would be staying there for at least a year and I knew that they were remodeling the house, so I was being nice and helping them out. Within two weeks of moving in, I was already unhappy with the living conditions and only three months later I could not handle the conditions anymore and moved out.

At the advice of a lawyer consultation, I wrote a letter detailing the day I would be moving out, every condition that made the house "uninhabitable," saying that I am leaving the lease because of the above conditions, and my demand for the funds associated to the rent that I had paid in advance, totaling around $4,000 with the security deposit.

After I give her my letter, she goes off and says that I already breached the lease twice. One was for allowing the friend to stay with me, EVEN THOUGH HE PAYS HER RENT. The other time was when I let my parents visit me for a week and they stayed in my room, however, my landlord INSISTED they stay with me so they wouldn't have to stay in a hotel. It is disgusting to me that she is now throwing my parents one week visit in my face as breaching the lease. On top of all that she says that I am still responsible for fullfiling the one year contract, that they will not give me my money that I paid in advance, and that I can sublease the room if I want to.

I was researching Florida Law (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0083/ch0083.htm) and the first thing I saw was that if I do pay them in advance, they have to keep my funds separate from theirs and I have to be given the name of the institution the money is held at. They didnt do this and I KNOW that all the money I gave them is gone. The other thing I noticed was that they had a certain time to give me back my security deposit. A third thing I noticed was that if I break the lease, I am not obligated to fulfill the terms, but I might have to pay no more than two months rent. However, the MAIN reason I am leaving is BECAUSE I DO NOT FEEL SAFE. I am disgusted that I had to live in such horrible conditions, and even at the end of that, they refuse to refund my money.

I want to see if I interpreted the Landlord/Tenant law correctly because the way I see it, I am entitled to any advanced rent that I paid them because technically they shouldn't have spent that money already in the first place. I also want to see what my best plan of action should be. Should I try to hire a lawyer, should i go to small claims court, should I threaten to take them to court, and if so how do I go about that?

Last edited:

JETX

Wow.... get rid of the novella!!!
Guess you never heard of 'brief and concise', huh??

JETX

I want to see if I interpreted the Landlord/Tenant law correctly because the way I see it, I am entitled to any advanced rent that I paid them because technically they shouldn't have spent that money already in the first place.
I guess you missed the part where the statute (83.49) said "This subsection does not apply to any landlord who rents fewer than five individual dwelling units."

I also want to see what my best plan of action should be. Should I try to hire a lawyer, should i go to small claims court, should I threaten to take them to court, and if so how do I go about that?
No one can GUESS what your 'best plan of action' might be. Simply, there are too many variables.... we don't know what your 'legal talents' might be, whether they will have an attorney or any of 100's of other required 'details'. When in doubt.... get a local attorney.

chammett

I guess you missed the part where the statute (83.49) said "This subsection does not apply to any landlord who rents fewer than five individual dwelling units."
I saw that section, but thought it only applied to subsections 3(a-d). Some of the other sections still apply to me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">