• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental contract "liability clause"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nuna

Alameda, CA

I rented an apartment in a complex for ~2yrs. During my tenancy the plumbing for the adjacent laundry room broke and leaked into my apartment ruining some of my clothes and books. This happened twice.

There is a quote in my rental agreement saying that the landlord is not responsible for any damage to personal property (citing water pipes specifically). I was told by the small claims court advisor in my county that this clause is illegal but did not have references for me.

Is such a clause really illegal and if so where can I find the specific law that says so?
How late after the incident can I sue the landlord?

HomeGuru

nuna said:
Alameda, CA

I rented an apartment in a complex for ~2yrs. During my tenancy the plumbing for the adjacent laundry room broke and leaked into my apartment ruining some of my clothes and books. This happened twice.

There is a quote in my rental agreement saying that the landlord is not responsible for any damage to personal property (citing water pipes specifically). I was told by the small claims court advisor in my county that this clause is illegal but did not have references for me.

Is such a clause really illegal and if so where can I find the specific law that says so?

**A: why should L be responsible when you were supposed to have tenant insurance to cover your personal belongings.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nuna said:
Alameda, CA

=======================================

My response:

Many landlords attempt to limit their liability to tenants and guests injured on the premises, requiring tenants to obtain their own insurance to cover personal injury or property damage. However, case law has drawn rather expansive boundaries around a landlord's potential premises liability exposure (including liability for injuries caused by other tenants, by defects in the premises and, in certain circumstances, by third party criminal acts). Therefore, while "boilerplate" exculpatory language is commonly incorporated into rental agreements, it might not insulate the landlord from all injury and damage liability.

Residential landlords cannot avoid liability for injuries from negligent maintenance of the property or negligent failure to repair defects by exculpatory clauses in a lease or rental agreement. Such disclaimers are void and unenforceable as against public policy. [Ca Civil § 1953(a)(5) - - tenant's waiver of right to have landlord "exercise a duty of care to prevent personal injury or personal property damage where that duty is imposed by law" is void; Henrioulle v. Marin Ventures, Inc. (1978) 20 Cal.3d 512, 517, 143 Cal.Rptr. 247, 250-251]

Your Statute of Limitation concerning property damages is 3 years from the date that the damages were caused.

IAAL

Ladynred

Question, professor IAAL ;) Not to hijack the thread, but my question is similar (water damage).

to your statements :

However, case law has drawn rather expansive boundaries around a landlord's potential premises liability exposure (including liability for injuries caused by other tenants, by defects in the premises and, in certain circumstances, by third party criminal acts). Therefore, while "boilerplate" exculpatory language is commonly incorporated into rental agreements, it might not insulate the landlord from all injury and damage liability.
Would I find it in my state (TN) statutes as to how much, if any, liability a LL would actually be liable for and how much *I* may be liable for ?

My lease at my now-former apt, obviously had some of this boilerplate language regarding liability. I did not have renter's insurance (I know, my bad but I couldn't afford it at first and forgot about it later) when the pipes in my apt froze the first time and ended up with broken pipes and a literal flood of my downstairs. It was Christmas time, I was in NY for my niece's wedding, came home to the flooded downstairs, a huge hole in the wall of the downstairs bathroom and gushing pipes.

The women in the office told me it was MY FAULT the pipes broke and they could have charged me for it (they didn't). It took them 3 weeks to make repairs in the bathroom - fixing the wall and ceiling (and they did a horrendous job at that !). Week 3, I called them to find out how the repairs were going and they told me my apt was flooded AGAIN ! Again, I had been out of town and had no idea. This time the pipes burst upstairs under the sink and the water ran between the floor and ceiling of the room downstairs and again flooded the downstairs. Again, they tell me its my fault the pipes burst, that I was responsible for leaving the faucets dripping. Well.. I'd been out of town, they KNEW that and the weather when I left was spring-like !!

So, anyway, they had not charged me for the repairs. However, now that I'm outta there, I'm suspicious that they may try to charge me for total replacement of the downstairs carpet (which was in need of that when I moved in !) due to damage from these 2 floods !

How much liablity do I REALLY have when it comes to the infrastructure of THEIR buildings ? These apts are 20+ years old and the insulation is grossly inadequate (the plumber even said so!). To say its MY fault because I didn't leave the water dripping doesn't sit right.

I sucked up the losses and damage to my personal property since, by my own fault I had no insurance. I don't know if they'll really try this or not, I haven't heard from them yet since I moved out - they've got until the 17th to do so in writing per the laws. I'm just expecting the worst from these women. They were constantly in my apt snooping for 3 years, violating my privacy as far as I'm concerned, so half expect them to pull something.

Sorry..longer than I intended. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">